Thursday, March 7, 2019

Road to Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker - Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace Review




With Star Wars: Episode IX coming to theaters in nine months, It only made sense I would review all of the films (expect the animated Star Wars: The Clone Wars movie) including a re-review of The Last Jedi. So let's begin.



Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace is a 1999 epic space opera. The movie is the first installment of the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy. The movie is produced by Lucasfilm Ltd. and distributed by 20th Century Fox. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace was written and directed by George Lucas.



The story is Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi have sent to deal with the Trade Federation's decision to cut off all routes to the planet Naboo. Then during their meeting to discuss the matter they are attacked. Later on they find a grand conspiracy related to the matter.








  • Negatives




Let's just get this out of the way. Yes Jar Jar is annoying and unfunny. Now let's just move on because everything about this character has already been said.






  • Mix




One thing I'm conflicted on is the midi-chlorians. On one hand I actually kind of like the idea. It's not bad it's kind of interesting. But on the other hand it does kind of ruin the whole idea of the force being a mysterious power.



Another thing I feel that's a mix bag is the CGI. There are plenty of times were it is quite good and pleasant to look at. Other times no so much. I won't say it's so bad it belongs in a video game or it looks like a something SyFy made all I'm saying is it definitely could have been polished up a bit.



Now to talk about performances. Some are pretty good to bad. Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor were quite good in their respected roles. And I'll just come out and say it but Jake Lloyd as young Anakin Skywalker not as bad as people make him out to be. I just think he's performance was serviceable. He's not really bad nor is he the worst actor in the film. Now Natalie Portman on the other she sadly has the most bland performance in the film. She really sounds like she's doing either the second or third take everytime.






  • Positives




One aspect of the movie everyone should give The Phantom Menace for is the cinematography. All the worlds are beautiful and unique. Each setting has it's own look and you'll can tell which world is which.



Another thing I enjoy which is what everyone enjoyed is the action. Those lightsaber fight sequences are just amazing and can be instantly loved. I just couldn't get enough of that final duel.



The other part of the movie to like is Qui-Gon Jinn and Darth Maul. He really cool and mysterious character and I felt sad when he dies. Darth Maul is an awesome villain. Like Qui-Gon he's very mysterious. They both do so little but at the same time you're really drawn to them.







Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace is in my opinion the expect of a decent movie. The good parts are the cinematography, the action scenes, and Qui-Gon Jinn and Darth Maul. The parts that really needed more work on were the CGI and the performances, the concept of the midi-chlorians in my opinion might cause people to be conflicted. The only thing that I felt was truly bad was Jar Jar Binks.






My final rating is Okay





Alright everyone that's going to do it for me. Come back Saturday, March 9th for my review of Captain Marvel. Until then enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment