Monday, September 28, 2020

A Look Back at Sudden Death (1995)




So originally I wasn't going to review this but since Netflix is going to have Welcome to Sudden Death, I figured I might as well review the first movie anyways.





Sudden Death is a 1995 sports action thriller movie. The film is produced by Shattered Productions and distributed by Universal Pictures. Sudden Death was written by Gene Quintano and directed by Peter Hyams.





The story is Darren McCord has gotten a new job working security at the Pittsburgh Civic Area. What seems like his family is going to enjoy the Stanley Cup Finals turns into a nightmare when the entire area is taken over by terrorist. After Darren learns what's going on he must now leap into action and stop them.








  • Negatives


I've got nothing to say. Let's move on.







  • Mix


Let's get this out of the way. Yes, this is a Die Hard clone BUT, it's one of the more enjoyable ones. Sure I was making comparisons but yet at the same time I was so entertained that I just stopped caring.



Now to discuss the villain that being Joshua Foss. I found him to be okay. There's some character there and he does do some villainous things with a smile but I found him for the most part to be like I said previously okay.



The final thing I'll say for this category is the special effects are pretty good. There are a couple of scenes you can plainly tell but I think you brush those off after everything else.







  • Positives


Now to praise the movie for its better qualities that being the acting, Jean-Claude Van Damme was never the strongest actor (I always thought he was decent) and here's pretty good. It's not an underrated performance but it's still good enough. I think the best acting came from Powers Boothe. He really nailed playing Foss.



Another thing I'll give Sudden Death credit for is the music. John Debney provided the film a really fun soundtrack. The one I liked the most was the main title song. It sounded awesome.



What I also liked about the movie was the pacing. It's very well executed. Seriously this movie went by so fast that I was surprised at what it was when the movie was over.



The final thing I'll praise Sudden Death for is the action. Sure there's not that much of it but what limited amount they had it was fun to watch. I also think maybe it was done on purpose not to have Van Damme go full marital artist, because he plays a firefighter in this and that's all he is. So in retrospective it wouldn't make sense for his character to be a firefighter while at the same time the greatest martial artist in the whole flick. Regardless the action was good in this.








Sudden Death is not a perfect movie but I don't think that's what everyone wanted when they went to see this back in 1995. What they wanted was a fun action film and you get that. What with the movie's acting, music, pacing, and well..action. The grey areas are being an enjoyable Die Hard clone, the bad guy, and the special effects.








My final rating is Good








So that's all for me. Come back on Thursday, Oct 1st for my review of Welcome to Sudden Death. I'm a little worried about that one because they said it's going to be more of a comedic take, and well direct-to-video's comedies don't have the best track record. But I prefer to judge a movie when I see it not based on reports. Anyway, until then enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment