Thursday, October 1, 2020

Welcome to Sudden Death Review




Welcome to Sudden Death is an action and a remake to 1995's Sudden Death. The movie is produced by Netflix and Universal 1440 Entertainment and distributed by Netflix. Welcome to Sudden Death is written and directed by Dallas Jackson.





The story is Jesse is trying to live a normal life with his family after coming back from the military. He takes his daughter and son to a basketball hoping for the bit of normalcy while he works security for the arena. This take a drastic change when he finds out the arena has been taken over by terrorist and now he must stop them.








Initial Reaction


Now I yet again wanted to do another Netflix movie so when I heard about this movie I was interested. I wasn't excited about it like I would for the big latest blockbuster in theater but I was looking forward to it. Especially since Michael Jai White was going to be in it and come on, that guy is awesome and very much an underrated actor.








Cons


One of the many awful things about this film is there's not much differences between this movie and the 1995 flick. Which is why when I was watching it I was asking the question "how is this considered a sequel?" Because sure there were slight differences but overall not that many. Another thing I hated about Welcome to Sudden Death were the characters of Gus and Mara. Mara is Jesse's daughter and Jesus was she annoying! She's suppose to be a sassy little girl but no she's annoying. So annoying that whenever she was screaming "Daddy!" during his fight with the final bad guy all I wanted her to do was shut up. Then we have Gus......who thought putting this character in this movie was a good idea? Gus is the "comedic relief" but he's not funny. In matter of fact his character feels like he shouldn't be here. It felt like he would have been better suited for a cheap children's movie then a cheap action movie. What also made Welcome to Sudden Death a bad movie was the music. First we had the score which was just forgettable, seriously I can't remember one piece of music from the score. Then we have the songs that they put in during scenes. Which I didn't mind in some scenes but in others it just didn't fit. Like there's a montage where Jesse and Gus are going driving around getting the bombs and the music in the background seems like it would've been better for a club then a bomb hunting scene. It was really weird. My other problem with the film is the humor. Whether there's a scene with or without Gus the jokes in this movie aren't good. There was two types of jokes in this, a) the joke was predictable or b) the joke fell flat. That's really all you get. Now to talk about the biggest issue with this movie (which is way I saved it for last) and that's there's no real tension. When I was watching the movie I felt none of that. In the 1995 movie you got a lot of suspense, for instance during the fight scenes in that movie Jean-Claude Van Damme's character had a really tough time fighting the bad guys whether they were henchmen or the big villain. In this one Michael Jai White's character goes face-to-face with them and just goes threw them without breaking a sweat. Not only does that take away any suspense but it also made the bad guys not look like that much of a threat.







Middle Ground


I've got nothing to say. Let's move on.







Pros


The only real positive I can give this movie is Michael Jai White. He really brings something to the movie even if the script sucks, which yet again just shows how underrated he is.








Welcome to Sudden Death is bad. It has probably the most annoying characters of this year with Gus and Mara, the music isn't that great, the humor was awful, and it lacks tension. The only good thing was Michael Jai White.








My final rating is Awful








I also just realized something, the title to this movie makes no sense because unlike hockey there's no "sudden death" in basketball. But anyhow that's going to do it for me. Come back on Monday, Oct 5th for my review of the remake of The Blob. Until then enjoy the rest of your day and stick to the 1995 movie Sudden Death, it may not be perfect but it's way better than this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment