Monday, October 5, 2020

Underrated Films - The Blob (1988) Review

 


The Blob is a 1988 science fiction horror movie and a remake of the 1958 film of the same name. The movie was produced by Palisades California Inc. and distributed by TriStar Pictures. The Blob was written by Chuck Russell and Frank Darabont and directed by Chuck Russell.




The story is a meteorite has landed in Arborville, California. It seems just like a normal meteor until a strange slime comes out of it and then starts devouring everything in it's path. Once the town folks learn about the substance they must to whatever they can to stop before it eats all of them.










Why It's Underrated


The main reason why The Blob is so underrated is it just doesn't get enough exposer. For my whole life I can't think one time when I saw a TV showing for this. I don't if that has something to do with me not looking hard enough or for whatever reason or another TV stations just don't show it as much as they should.






My Thoughts


One of the best things about this movie is the special effects. Not sure there are some noticeable ones but for a large majority of the movie they are fantastic and do this day still hold up.



What also made The Blob a really good movie was how the Blob itself has a new origin, and it works. Because of this new origin you become much more intrigued with the story.



Another thing I liked about the movie was it's sense of humor. It's very well balanced. The humor was there when it needed to be, there wasn't a scene where you're suppose to be scared but then out of nowhere for no rhyme or reason there's a joke.



The other aspect of The Blob that I liked was the ending. It had a very bleak tone to it and it made you think of all the possibilities they could've taken the story had there been a sequel.



The final thing I'm giving the film credit for is the fact that nobody was safe. I mean it the people you think are going to survive this there's a 50/50 chance they're going to die. Which not only ups the danger to the story but it also showed that the filmmakers had some real balls when they were making this.








The Blob (1988) is one of the best horror remakes to be made. It has for a large portion a great amount of special effects, a brilliant new origin for the Blob, humor when it was necessary, a good ending, and the no one is safe vibe was also a nice touch.








My final rating is Great








I mean it when I say The Blob deserves to be considered one of the best horror remakes of the 80s. It's right up there with John Carpenter's The Thing and The Fly starring Jeff Goldblum. It's that good. Anyhow that's going to do it for me. Come back on Thursday, Oct 8th for my Cinematic Disasters review of 2019's Black Christmas. Until then enjoy the rest of your day and watch The Blob.

No comments:

Post a Comment