Saturday, October 17, 2020

The Trial of the Chicago 7 Review




The Trial of the Chicago 7 is a historical legal drama based on the anti-Vietnam War protesters the Chicago Seven. The movie is produced by Paramount Pictures, DreamWorks Pictures, Amblin Partners, Reliance Entertainment, Cross Creek Pictures, Marc Platt Productions, Alibaba Pictures, MadRiver Pictures, and Rocket Science and distributed by Netflix and Paramount Pictures. The Trial of the Chicago 7 is written and directed by Aaron Sorkin.





The story is seven defendants have been arrested for inciting a riot along with others charges during the protest against the Vietnam War during the 1968 Democratic National Convention. Their trial doesn't seem to be a fair one so now both them and their lawyer must do whatever it takes to prove their innocence.









Initial Reaction


At first my only reason to see this was because of the cast, especially favorites those being Michael Keaton, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Then I wanted to see the movie because the trailer really got me hooked.







Cons


I've got nothing to say. Let's move on.







Middle Ground


The only grey area with the film is the score. It's good for what it is but at the same time I don't think it's going to be one of the big highlights of the movie.







Pros


One of the best things regarding The Trial of the Chicago 7 is the performances. This was probably some of the best acting I've seen from a movie this year, and to be honest I don't know which performance I can pick as my favorite. Because everyone and everybody did a fantastic job playing their roles. What also made the movie get was the cinematography. Not only is this a beautiful/nicely shot movie but it really does look like the the 60s. Another thing that made the film that was really good was the editing. It was nice, crisp, and clean. I mean it props to the editors they did a great job. The final thing I'll praise The Trial of the Chicago 7 for is the script. Now yes this movie does take some liberties but, I think people will be willing to forgive those. Because with how the story was both structured and told, people will let it slide. We did it with a lot of other true event films so why shouldn't this one get a pass.








I definitely enjoyed The Trial of the Chicago 7. The performances were phenomenal, the cinematography was great, the editing is top notch, and the script was very well written. The score is fine but I think it'll fall under people's radar.








My final rating is Great








So that's going to do it for me. Come back on Monday, Oct 19th for my Classic Film Night review of An American Werewolf in London. That's right I'm getting right back into the Halloween themed reviews. Until then enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment