Sunday, December 27, 2020

We Can Be Heroes Review

 


We Can Be Heroes is a superhero film and a stand-alone sequel to 2005's The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl. The movie is produced by Double R Productions and Quick Draw Productions and distributed by Netflix. We Can Be Heroes is written and directed by Robert Rodriguez.





The story is Earth has been under the protection of the mightiest superhero group known to man, The Heroics. Then an alien invasion comes to their planet and before everyone knows it The Heroics are defeated and captured by the invading force. Now the children of this group must form their own team, rescue their parents, and save the world.











Initial Reaction


I'm gonna have I really short reason for why I was looking forward to this, and that reason is it's a sequel to The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl so I was curious to see what Robert Rodriguez was going to do with these characters next.








Cons


Now this is the only time I'm going too be really critical of this movie. So here it is, this shouldn't have been a sequel to Sharkboy and Lavagirl. Now I'd figured they weren't going to be big since the movie was about the kids but at the very end it really showed that this isn't a proper sequel. Not only are Sharkboy and Lavagirl pushed to the back but we don't know what happened to Max nor do we know what's going on at Planet Drool.







Middle Ground


Now the CGI in this movie is very obvious but when compared to the previous film. That may not be saying much but when you do the comparison it's clear this movie's CGI is okay compared to the PS2 graphics to the 2005 film.







Pros


One positive I'll give the movie is it's humor. Sure you won't be laughing your ass off with the jokes but for the most part they get a good chuckle out of ya. And that's better than no laughs at all for a movie that's part comedy. Now I've seen a lot of reviews be harsh with the movie. Sure some of those criticisms are valid but, the reason I'm going to have such a hard time ripping it apart is because I think kids and adults could get a kick over how much of We Can Be Heroes is cheesy fun. Which is the biggest reason why I'm not full blown mad about it. It provided me with an amount of fun that while not 100% well written was still able to be entertaining in a I guess B-movie kind of way if that's the right word to use. The last thing I'll give We Can Be Heroes credit for is the acting. Now nobody's not gonna win any words for it but when watch everybody throughout the film you tell everybody's having fun.








We Can Be Heroes isn't the best movie I ever saw but for me it's not the worst either. It gives you some good laughs, it's cheesy fun, and the actors did seem to have a good time. The CGI is noticable but it's way better than what the 2005 movie gave us. The only downside is this really didn't have a reason to be a sequel to The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl whether it's a stand-alone or not.








My final rating is Okay








All done here. Come back on Thursday, Dec 31st for the final edition of Looking Back at the Films of 2019. And this is going to be my biggest yet. With reviews of Richard Jewell, 6 Underground, Uncut Gems, Spies in Disguise, Cats, and 1917. Until then enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment