Saturday, December 26, 2020

Wonder Woman 1984 Review

 


Wonder Woman 1984 is the sequel to 2017's Wonder Woman and the ninth film in the DC Extended Universe (aka the DCEU). The movie is produced by DC Films, Atlas Entertainment, The Stone Quarry, and Mad Ghost Productions and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. Wonder Woman 1984 is written by Patty Jenkins, Geoff Johns, and David Callaham and directed by Patty Jenkins.





The story is it's 1984 and Diana once again finds herself in a conflict in man's world. This time she must go up against powerful businessman Maxwell Lord and her friend-turned-enemy Barbara Ann Minerva aka Cheetah. Will Diana have the power to stop these formidable foes or will they reign supreme?












Initial Reaction


Now I was looking forward to this movie ever since it was announced. I loved what Patty Jenkins and co. did with the first one and I was really pumped for what they had in store for the sequel. Although I will admit my excitement lessened when more and more delays kept coming but once an official release date set in stone was decided my excitement returned.







Cons


I've got nothing to say. Let's move on.






Middle Ground


One thing that's alright with the movie is the tone. At first it really was hard to tell which tone the filmmakers wanted. One moment it's light and fun the next moment it's dark and serious then back to the former then it's back to being dark. But thankfully during the I want to last hour of the movie it really finds what it wants to be. So even though there was a struggle at first luckily somewhere we have a set tone. The other okay thing with Wonder Woman 1984 is the CGI with Cheetah. I thought is pretty decent. There's time when I didn't notice but then there are other scenes where you can tell. But I thought the CG artist pulled it off for the most part. Now this is a slight criticism that I might get in trouble with but screw it....I thought Hans Zimmer's score for this was okay. I remember some bits of his music in this other times not so much.






Pros


Now let's talk about the good stuff such as Gal Gadot and Pedro Pascal's performances. If you weren't impressed with Gal's acting in the first Wonder Woman movie than I think this one might change your mind. She really nails it with the more emotional moments, especially that one scene with her and Steve when Steve tells her she knows what she has to do. I would've gone into more detail about that scene but spoiler free folks. Then we have Pedro he was spectacular as Maxwell Lord. I thought he did great with his more over the top moments and his more serious moments. What I also liked about the movie was the action. Now I don't think it's the greatest ever but I thought it was really fun to watch. I especially liked that final fight between Diana and Cheetah that was awesome. Another thing that makes the movie worth watching is Patty Jenkins' directing. Once again she does an incredible job. I loved some of the shots in this and it makes me excited for her Cleopatra movie and Star Wars: Rogue Squadron. The last thing I'll give Wonder Woman 1984 credit for is the mid-credit movie. It was cool and at the same time I hope that'll play a big part or some sort of part for the third movie.








While Wonder Woman 1984 isn't as good as the first movie there are still somethings to enjoy. Such as Gal & Pedro's acting, the action, Patty Jenkins' directing, and the mid-credit scene. The things that are fine/could've been worked on more was the tone, the CGI on Cheetah, and the score.








My final rating is Okay








Alright everyone I'm finished with this review. Come back tomorrow, yes tomorrow for my review of the newest Disney/Pixar movie Soul. Until then enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment