Saturday, January 16, 2021

Locked Down Review

 


Locked Down is a romantic comedy heist film. The movie is produced by Warner Bros. Pictures, AGC Studios, and Storyteller Productions and distributed by HBO Max. Locked Down is written by Steve Knight and directed by Doug Liman.





The story is due to lockdowns brought by the COVID-19 pandemic a couple named Linda and Paxton are struggling a bit. One day they are pushed to their limits and they decide to do something drastic, they plan on pulling a heist and steal a diamond that's worth 3 million dollars.












Initial Reaction


My sole reason for wanting to see this movie is because I like Doug Liman. I think he's made quite a lot of good movies such as Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Edge of Tomorrow, and American Made. So I was curious about this one. Although I do admit I did want to back away from this one for brief moment because last time HBO Max released a romantic comedy movie (Superintelligence) I was not impressed. But then I released just because of one bad experience and went right back to given this film a chance.








Cons 


One real issue with the movie is it really needed some trimming. I really don't think this needed to be as long it was. My other problem with it was there really needed to be more of a balance between the movie being a rom-com & a heist flick. Because with this film it's more rom-com and less heist.






Middle Ground


The only mix bag I have with Locked Down is there was a good attempt at character development. You really do get to quite a lot about them. Although at the same time I felt like there were instances where it felt like the movie was telling us things we already know.






Pros


One thing I'll give the movie credit for is our main leads Anne Hathaway and Chiwetel Ejiofor. Even though the script isn't entirely good our main stars do carry the movie though with their comedic performances. Another thing I liked was the humor. Now this isn't a full blown laugh out loud comedy but, it a quite a few laughs out of me and that's better than no laughs at all.








Locked Down is an alright movie. Our stars acting was good and I enjoyed the humor it had to offer. Character development was okay but sometimes it felt like stuff we were already told. The big issues that really drag the film down are it really needed some trimming and an uneven balance of rom-com and being a heist.








My final rating is Okay








So that's going to do it for me. Come back on Monday, Jan 18th were I'll begin the Road to Mortal Kombat (2021) with my review of 1995's Mortal Kombat.

No comments:

Post a Comment