Monday, January 25, 2021

Looking Back at the Films of 2020 Part 1 - Bad Boys for Life & The Gentlemen

 


Hey guys and welcome to the first edition of Looking Back at the Films of 2020. For this installment I'll be reviewing Bad Boys for Life and The Gentlemen.











Why Didn't I See Bad Boys for Life?


The main reason why I didn't see Bad Boys for Life was there just wasn't a showing. Which I thought sucked because I like the first two Bad Boys movie. They're good turn off your brain entertainment.





What is Bad Boys for Life?


Bad Boys for Life is a action comedy movie, the sequel to 2003's Bad Boys II, and the third movie in the film series. The movie was produced by Columbia Pictures, 2.0 Entertainment, Don Simpson/Jerry Bruckheimer Films, and Overbrook Entertainment and distributed by Sony Pictures Releasing. Bad Boys for Life was written by Chris Bremner, Peter Craig, and Joe Carnahan and directed by Adil & Bilall. The story is a wife and son of Mexican drug lord are on a path for vengeance and will kill everyone involved for the drug lord's imprisonment. And one person on that list is Detective Mike Lowrey. Now Mike not only teams up with Marcus again but a new elite tactical squad called AMMO. Both the old-school and the new-school must get along and put an end to these vicious criminals.





My Thoughts


The Good: One thing that I liked about the movie was Will Smith & Martin Lawrence's chemistry. These two once again are amazing together just like they were in previous two movies. That haven't lost a beat with each other because even though their clearly older now they still act like the same guys from the first Bad Boys movie. Another thing that was enjoyable about the film is the villain. Not only were the very much vicious but at the same time you get to know quite a lot about them. There's also a nice twist to them where they're connected to one of our heroes. What I also liked about Bad Boys for Life was the humor. There were a lot scenes were I found myself laughing really hard. The last thing I'll praise the movie for was the action. I was really fun, exciting, and I just couldn't get enough of it. It was also surprisingly violent which I'm not complaining about.





The Bad: None.





The Okay: One mix bag I had with the movie was while the action was awesome I just couldn't help but wonder did we need just a little bit of Michael Bay in it? Did we just need a tad bit of Bayhem? Another thing that's a grey area for this film is the CGI. Now there's not a lot of it but when it's there you can tell. But since like I said before there's not too much of it so I'm not gonna be too harsh with that aspect of the movie.





Final Verdict: Good








Why Didn't I See The Gentlemen?


The reason why I didn't see The Gentlemen was for two reasons. 1) This movie went completely under my radar. I seriously didn't know about it until later and 2) By the time I did know about it was far too late for me to make a review for it.





What is The Gentlemen?


The Gentlemen is a British-American action comedy movie. The film was produced by Miramax and distributed by STXfilms and Entertainment Film Distributors. The Gentlemen was written and directed by Guy Ritchie. The story is an American marijuana kingpin named Micky Pearson plans to set his newest business in London. Soon word gets out that he plans to sell his business to another American criminal. This sets off a chain of events involving schemes, blackmail, and more all in attempt to buy his empire.





My Thoughts


The Good: One thing I loved about the movie was the performances. Everyone does I phenomenal job of which great their playing. I loved Matthew McConaughey was great, Hugh Grant did a wonderful job playing a slimey reporter, Colin Farrell was a scene stealer despite the appearing that much, and while I haven't seen a lot of stuff starting Charlie Hunnam I was still impressed with what he did in this movie. Another thing I loved was the characters. Now I don't think many people remember their names but I know for a fact people love them. They're just written so while and all them have their moment to shine. What also made The Gentlemen a great movie was the humor. Now a lot of it comes from the dialogue but there's also some scenes that are the joke. Like this one scene where Colin Farrell's character is blackmailing a reporter. I'm leaving it at that, if you want to know what I'm talking about go watch the movie. The last thing I'll praise The Gentlemen for is the dialogue. There are a lot of quotable and funny lines in this. For example this awesome line,

Brown: What am I gulity of?

Ray: Being a c*nt, Brown. Being a c*nt.


That's just a small sample there are many amazing lines just like or similar to that.




The Bad: None.





The Okay: Now the movie does start off a little bit slow but once things start going the movie really picks up, to the point were you can forgive that slow start at the beginning of the movie.





Final Verdict: Great










Alright I'm done here. Come back on Thursday, Jan 28th for my Underrated Films review of Upgrade. Until then enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment