Thursday, January 28, 2021

Underrated Films - Upgrade Review

 


Upgrade is a 2018 cyberpunk action movie. The film was produced by Blumhouse Productions, Goalpost Pictures, Nervous Tick Productions, and Film Victoria and distributed by OTL Releasing and BH Tilt. Upgrade was written and directed by Leigh Whannell.





The story is a man named Grey Trace was driving back home with his wife after helping out client. However this drive back turns into a nightmare after Grey is left paralyzed and his wife was murdered right in front of him. Everything seems hopeless for him until realizes the chip in his spine (named STEM) not only lets him walk again but also makes him the deadliest man in the world. Now Grey is on a path of vengeance.











Why It's Underrated


The main reason why it's underrated is it just doesn't get enough love. I think I saw a TV showing of it one time on I do believe FX but other than that not very much love. Hell, I didn't even though this movie existed until 2019 and that was because one of my Twitter followers kept brining it in 2018.






My Thoughts


One great thing about this movie is Leigh Whannell's directing. Now I didn't see his directorial debut movie Insidious: Chapter 3 so I had no idea what he was going to bring to the table in terms of directing, but after watching this movie I gotta say I am very impressed. He has a great style, great cinematography, and well he's just good. His directing is what made me excited for the remake of The Invisible Man (p.s. I'll be reviewing that one soon).



Another reason why Upgrade is awesome is it's brutal action scenes. I mean it when came to the action in this movie the filmmakers didn't hold back. You see heads blow up, limbs get broken, and blood shoot out everywhere. Some of them were so intense there were times when my eyes widened and my jaw dropped.



What I also love about the film is the special effects. This movie was made with a budget of $3 million dollars and yet, the effects make it seem the movie was made with more money than because the look so clean and crisp. That is amazing filmmaking. When you can take a small budget and still make your movie seem like it cost more than that.



One other aspect of Upgrade that makes it an awesome movie was it's use of dark humor. I wasn't expecting laugh a lot like it did. There are a lot of funny lines in this. That kitchen fight scene had some good humorous lines in it and there was also a pretty funny ninja line in there too.



The last thing I'll praise Upgrade for is it's ending. Now even though this movie is going to be three years old in a couple of months I don't want to give away the ending because it's a spoiler and it's best if you see it for yourself. All I will say is I definitely didn't see it coming and it's probably one of my favorite endings to a movie.








Upgrade is a movie you REALLY need to see. Whannell's directing is spot on, the action scenes are awesome in a brutal way, the special effects are great for a movie with a small budget, the dark humor was a nice touch, and the ending is amazing.








My final rating is A Must Watch








Okay, I'm done here. Come back on Saturday, Feb 6th for my review of Netflix's Malcolm & Marie. Until then enjoy the rest of your day and do watch Upgrade.

No comments:

Post a Comment