Saturday, February 6, 2021

Malcolm & Marie Review

 


Malcolm & Marie is a black-and-white drama movie. The film is produced by Little Lamb and FotoKem and distributed by Netflix. Malcolm & Marie is written and directed by Sam Levinson.




The story is a couple have returned from a movie premiere and await for critic's response. While they wait they found out somethings regrading their relationship and what was to be a night of celebration turns into a night of revelations. Will they pull through and still be a couple or will they end their relationship?












Initial Reaction


Really the only reason I wanted to see this movie was because of John David Washington. Because of Tenet I was looking forward to his next project no matter what genre it was in. Then I wanted to see the movie because the trailer made it even more interesting. In matter of fact the trailer showed that this wasn't going to be some generic love story as I thought it was going to be.








Cons


I've got nothing to say. Let's move on.






Middle Ground


The biggest grey area with the movie is the script. I do like how the writer/director really wanted to dive into a relationship that's having issues, as supposed to it being all lovey dovey. The issue comes to how redundant it can be. Like I said before I understand what the writer was going for but, when argument number 4 happens you just grown tied of it.






Pros


One good thing about Malcolm and Marie is the performances from John David Washington and Zendaya. They were fantastic in this. Despite the script not being as good as it should've been in some areas their acting really helped the movie be viewable. Another thing I liked was the directing from Sam Levinson. I don't know if he's made other movies similar in style to this but after watching I might just check out what else is on his filmography. The last thing I'll give the film praise for is the cinematography. I thought it was really well done. There's a lot of times when scenes can or do look like paintings. Which was a very welcomed surprise.








Malcolm and Marie isn't a movie you really need to watch right here, right now. And that's mostly because of the script what with it's repetitiveness regrading all of the arguments in the film. What saves it from me giving it a long rating is the acting from our two main stars, Levinson's directing, and the cinematography.








My final rating is Okay








Alright everybody, I'm all done here. Come back on Monday, Jan 8th for my Classic Film Night review of Taxi Driver. Until then enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment