Thursday, April 8, 2021

Underrated Films - Blind Fury Review

 

Blind Fury is a 1989 action film and a loosely modernized remake of the 1967 Japanese film Zatoichi Challenged. The movie was produced by Interscope Communications and distributed by TriStar Pictures. Blind Fury was written by Charles Robert Carner and directed by Phillip Noyce.





The story is a blind Vietnam War veteran named Nick Parker has finally returned home to the United States. He plans to meet up with his old war buddy named Frank Deveraux but only finds his son Billy and how tells him his dad's gone missing. When Nick finds out why he soon puts all of his years of training to the test and help find Billy's dad.











Why It's Underrated


Now I'm going to keep this brief as to way this film is underrated. You just never heard about it. Hell even I didn't know about it until January.






My Thoughts


One thing I liked about the movie was the action. It was very fun and thrilling. And I don't know about you but it did leave me guess and how is Nick going to pull this off despite being blind? I think my favorite scene is during the final fight when Nick has to go up against another swordsman.



Another thing I want to give Blind Fury credit for is the humor. Yeah there's quite a bit of comedic moments here and there. But what really made those scenes work is they were only there when it was necessary.



What also makes the film an enjoyable watch is Rutger Hauer's performance. Not only did he play a convincing blind man but, he also brought a lot of charm and charisma to the role of Nick Parker.



The last thing I'll give Blind Fury credit for is the character of Nick Parker. Nick is a very zen and clam guy. What you'll really love about him is he's not angry that he's blind. In matter of fact he either treats it as a minor inconvenience or something he can use to his advantage. Hell, even when he finally makes up with his friend he's not angry with him despite what happened years ago, he's at peace with what happened to him and sets out to help his buddy with his problems.








Now Blind Fury isn't one of those greatest action films of all time that got swept under the rug but, the reason why I found it so underrated is because it is a good popcorn flick. You get some good action scenes, nicely used humor, Hauer's performance was really good, and the character of Nick Parker is very well written and you'll really like the guy.








My final rating is Good.








Okay everybody, I'm all done here. Come back on Monday, Apr 19th for my Cinematic Disasters review of North. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment