Thursday, April 29, 2021

Justice Society: World War II Review

 


Justice Society: World War II is an animated direct-to-video comic book movie based on the DC Comics' superhero team the Justice Society of America (or simply either JSA or Justice Society). The movie is produced by Warner Bros. Animation and DC Entertainment and distributed by Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. Justice Society: World War II is written by Meghan Fitzmartin and Jeremy Adams and directed by Jeff Wamester.





The story is Barry Allen aka The Flash has discovered he can faster than he could've ever imagined. However this experiment with his superspeed launches him all the way to World War II, here he meets the Justice Society of America. Now the Justice Society not only have to put an end to the Nazi threat but also help this fellow superhero get back home.










Initial Reaction


In all honesty this was probably the first DC animated movie I wasn't fully hyped for. And that's because I was never really a fan of the Justice Society. I didn't have an issue with the team it's self I was just also more of a Justice League kind of guy. But I figured I give the movie a shot anyhow.








Cons


The only downside to Justice Society: World War II is it can get predictable in some scenes. For instance a character disappears and the dialogue is meant for us to believe we're never going to see him again. But given who he is we know he's going to appear later on.








Middle Ground


The mix bag for me was the final battle. It was really exciting for the most part but then I kinda got this feeling of it being rushed in the latter half of it. Like one threat went away and it felt anticlimactic, and then a new threat appeared and then was destroyed just as quick as it showed up.








Pros


Now let's move on to more positive things such as the art style. It's the same one as the style used in Superman: Man of Tomorrow and I liked that style so I really did like it here. What I also enjoyed about the film was this big twist in the story. I won't give it away because it's a spoiler, so all I'll say is Barry's (The Flash) problem isn't has simple as we think it is. The last thing I'll give Justice Society: World War II credit for and this is something I really wasn't expecting and it's how this movie focused so much on character. We get to see them talk about what they think about the war, how some of them are fine with serving their country and not be recognized, then we have heroes who still want to serve but want that recognizing not for fame but because they don't want to be forgotten. That really added a great layer to the overall story.








Justice Society: World War II's biggest problem is predictability. And while there was a lot of fun to be had in the final battle it did feel rushed near the end. However, what really helps the movie is a good art style, a nice curve ball in the story, and a surprising amount of scenes focusing on character.








My final rating is Good.








Okay I'm all done here. Come back on Saturday, May 1st for my review of The Mitchells vs. The Machines. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment