Saturday, April 9, 2022

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Review

 


Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is an action-adventure comedy based on the video game character Sonic the Hedgehog, as well as the sequel to the surprisingly good Sonic the Hedgehog. The movie's produced by Sega Sammy Group, Original Film, Marza Animation Planet, and Blur Studio and distributed by Paramount Pictures. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is written by Patrick Casey, John Whittington, and Josh Miller and directed by Jeff Fowler.





The story is after the first movie, Sonic wants to do more with his powers, wanting more adventure in his life. His wish soon comes true when Dr. Robotnik returns, but this time he brings an ally named Knuckles, both of who want to know where the legendary Master Emerald is. Now with the help of his new friend Tails, Sonic must put a stop to Robotnik before he gains ultimate power.








Initial Reaction

Having been very surprised with how good the first movie turned out, I was looking forward to the sequel ever since. And that's really all the reasoning I needed. First movie did well and I wanted to see the sequel, simple as that.








Cons

I've got nothing to say. Let's move on.








Middle Ground

The only gray area I had with the movie was the pacing. I started out really good, but the moment Sonic and Tails meet Thomas and the other human characters at a wedding that's when things got a tad bit messy. Because while we still have the Sonic story, we also have a slight story with the bride and groom. That part really messed with the pacing because it almost felt like the Sonic story was taking short breaks for the other story that not only is nobody gonna care about, but also gonna be forgotten about. Thankfully after that the pacing did pick up a bit.








Pros

One of the more positives aspect of the movie was the performances. Once again, Jim Carrey and Ben Schwartz are phenomenal as the characters of Dr. Robotnik and Sonic the Hedgehog. Then we have Collen O'Shaughnessey as Tails. I'm not surprised she made Tails a loveable little guy. She does the same exact thing in the video games, and she's just as good here, as she is in the games. Then there's Idris Elba as Knuckles....I loved his performance. I don't know how Idris was during recordings, but I'd like to imagine he was having an absolute blast voicing the character. A lot of the best moments are from Knuckles, and Elba's performance just makes those moments even better. I also want to give Jeff Fowler praise. So far he's directed two movies. The first Sonic movie and this one, and both times I liked what he's done. A little bit more this time around, because there were a lot of truly awesome shots. One scene I liked was how Sonic was struggling running on water. The way it looked and seeing our hero struggle was very well done. I wish I could go into more detail other than that, but sadly the rest are spoilers. Now to get I touch the humor. Much liked the first movie, this one provided a lot of great laughs for me. Like I said previously, Knuckles had some good moments, Jim Carrey brought his wonderful wacky charm, and so many other funny scenes that had me laughing. Another thing to like about the film was the action. You'll truly get excited whenever Sonic and Knuckles went toe-to-toe, a get chase scene on a snowy mountain, and that final battle...man do I wish I could go into that last bit. Because I know for a fact that fans got excited, because fans both young and old, were watching in awe. Cause that was the reactions I saw during my screening and so far it was a great experience I had in a theater so far this year. The last thing I'll give credit to the movie is the mid-credit scene. Much like the last movie's mid-credit scene this one we'll get you excited for a sequel. I loved it more this time around because it had one of my favorites.








Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is a very fun movie. It has great performance, Fowler once again has great directing, the humor really worked, the action was awesome, and a really cool mid-credit scene. The only slight issue was the pacing. It started out good, took a dip, and then got back on track.








My final rating is Good.








So yeah, go check out the movie. It's really good. Anyhow, that's going to do it for me. Come back on Monday, Apr 11th for my review of the newest Michael Bay film, Ambulance. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment