Thursday, July 28, 2022

Green Lantern: Beware My Power Review

 


Green Lantern: Beware My Power is a animated direct-to-video comic book film based on the DC Comics' series Green Lantern. It's also the fifth film in what's been dubbed the Tomorrowverse. The movie is produced by DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Animation and distributed by Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. Green Lantern: Beware My Power is written by John Semper and Ernie Altbacker and directed by Jess Wamester.





The story is a dying guardian from Oa has crashed landed on Earth and meets John Stewart. He gives John one of the most powerful weapons in the universe, a Green Lantern ring. Soon, John not only has to team up with the Justice League, but must also mater the power of his ring.








Initial Reaction

I've been looking forward to this film since it was announced at last year's DC FanDome. And I've also been enjoying the film's in this newly dubbed Tomorrowverse. No, they haven't been absolutely perfect, but they're still pretty good.








Cons

One of the biggest issues with the film was John's origin. And that's the fact that it isn't HIS story, it's Kyle Rayner's. So it felt really odd that I was watching John, but yet I was actually watching something that should've been Kyle's movie, simply for the fact that it's his origin. Then we have the story with Hal Jordan. Now, in this movie that took inspiration from a huge Green Lantern story arc, that really changed the status quo for not only Hal but the Green Lantern Corps. itself. For any of you Green Lantern fans you probably know which one I'm referring too. The problem I had with that was it was way too soon. Now I'm not saying they had to go the MCU route and give us 10 to 15 movies before the big event. They could've made two, maybe three more GL films, then use that story arc. But not only was it too soon, but it really does rely on you knowing a lot of the Green Lantern lore. And if you don't know much, then you're gonna be left confused.








Middle Ground

One gray area was the voice acting. Now everyone did really good, the slight issue was from Aldis Hodge as John Stewart. For some parts he's actually pretty good, other times he sounds a bit wooden. Now the movie does have this big mystery. And for a huge part of the runtime it's really good. Where it falls was near the end/who was responsible. It was a downer, mainly for who the character was.








Pros

I'm gonna keep this part short, but if you like the animation from Superman: Man of Tomorrow all the way to Batman: The Long Halloween - Part One and Two, then you'll like it here as well.








Now I don't have this, I just think it's a very low...meh. The animation is good. The voice acting and mystery was alright. The really downsides were the fact we didn't get John's origin and that storyline with Hal Jordan.








My final rating is Okay.








So, that's going to do it for me. Come back on Monday, Aug 1st for my Underrated Films review of Cats Don't Dance. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment