Saturday, March 11, 2023

Scream VI Review

 


Scream VI is a slasher movie, the sequel to 2022's Scream, and the sixth film in the franchise. The movie's produced by Spyglass Media Group, Project X Entertainment, and Radio Silence Productions and distributed by Paramount Pictures. Scream VI is written by James Vanderbilt and Guy Busick and directed by Matt-Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillett.





The story is after the events of the last movie, Samantha, her sister Tara, along with their friends, have moved to New York in the hopes of having a normal life. This moment of peace is cut short when a new Ghostface appears and starts killing people. Now they must figure out who it is this time, and what the motive is this time around.








Initial Reaction

Having been pleasantly surprised by how good the fifth movie was, I naturally wanted to see how the sixth movie was going to turn out. Although I had my doubts the movie could make current year New York scary. I mean, Hollywood's aware of how crime ridden that place has gotten right? Yeah I know I'm being a dick (😆).








Cons

I've got nothing for this section, just scroll down to the next part.








Middle Ground

Now one thing the movie does effectively is there is quite a lot of new stuff. The filmmakers do play around with the New York, well not going to the most familiar parts everyone's aware regretted NY. But what's also different is the opening, which is something that's never been done with a Scream movie. The biggest change this time around is we've got a more brutal/effective Ghostface. He wasn't tipping over himself, and whenever he killed, there definitely felt like a lot of anger to it. But despite all of these changes, the writers didn't really and sadly take that much of a risk. There were way too many survivors, probably the most in any Scream movie. Which is kinda funny, cause one character gets stabbed like 15-20 times and yet somehow, they survived. The other gray area came with the twist. It's fine, I think it just stems from a character who supposedly died, but didn't, and the explanation really depends on how much you can suspend your disbelief. Maybe if it was re-written it probably would've been better.








Pros

One pro to Scream VI was the humor. Once again much like the other movies, we've got some great laughs here and there. I especially liked the nice jab at post-credit scenes, at the post-credit scene, even if it was very simple. Then there were the kills...damn. Quite a few of them were absolutely brutal. There was one involving a dumpster where not only did it look painful, but I swear you're gonna feel the impact. The last thing I'll give credit to is the suspense. There was great build up to the kills, and really nerve wracking cat and mouse games. Those moments really got my heart racing.








While Scream VI does have its issues, I still had a lot of fun with this. I say if you're a Scream fan, give it a watch. Even when there's problems, it's a fun experience.








My final rating is, Good.








So that's going to do it for me. Come back on Monday, Mar 13th, for my review of 65. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment