Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Underrated Films - A Scanner Darkly

 


A Scanner Darkly is an adult animated sci-fi thriller film, based on Phillip K. Dick's 1977 novel of the same name. It was produced by Thousand Words, Section Eight, Detour Filmproduction, and 3 Arts Entertainment and distributed by Warner Independent Pictures. A Scanner Darkly was written and directed by Richard Linklater.








The story is, in the near future America is virtually losing the war on drugs, especially with the new and powerful drug, Substance D. Not only has the government combat this war with high-tech surveillance, but agent Bob Arctor has gone undercover to spy on his housemates and figure out which one is the biggest customer.









Why The Delay?

So if any read my Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire review, then you'd know that this was suppose to come out on Monday, Apr 8th. Now I do have plenty excuses. I was dog sitting, I also got caught up in the excitement regarding the eclipse, and I had to help my folks with their camper. But the simple and honest truth is, I forgot. Simply as that, I forgot I was suppose to do a review on Monday, and for that, I apologize.








Why It's Underrated

The reason why this is underrated is the time old aspect of this slipping under everybody's radar, mine as well. I didn't even know this movie existed until I was scrolling through Tubi.








My Thoughts

One great thing about the movie is the animation. It's really good, the rotoscoping used here is absolutely incredible. But, and this strictly my opinion so don't take it as a fact, but for me the art style does take some time to get use to. It's very....odd? If that's the right word. But given the subject matter maybe that's what they were going for.



Another great thing about the movie is the performances. Robert Downey Jr. is, of course, incredible, the character of Barris. Downey Jr. does a fantastic job capturing Barris' paranoia and also his somewhat there intelligence. Then there's Keanu Reeves. For this he's far more subtle and detached. Which made him perfect to play Bruce Arctor, because that's pretty much the character.



The best thing about the entire movie is the story. While there is some sci-fi elements here, they're not the primary focus. This is very a character focus story. We see the consequences of drug use, but not in a way where it's an over-the-top, overzealous PSA. We see what happens with Substance D, and see the character's slowly lose themselves. To the point where it damages their minds and it becomes left brain vs. right brain, and along with that, they don't know what's real and what's not. Not to mention there's a really good twist, but don't worry, regardless of how old the movie is, I won't give it away.








A Scanner Darkly is a fantastic movie about drug culture and just how dangerous it is. This is truly a well made movie, and I'm glad I came across it.








My final rating is, A Must Watch.








That's all for now. Come back on Thursday, Apr 11th, for my Classic Film Night review of, John Carpenter's Escape from New York. And don't worry, I'll be sure to remember that one. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment