Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Looking Back at the Films of 2023 Part Four - Air, Renfield, Evil Dead Rise, and The Covenant



Alright, another edition, let's get to it.








Why The Delay?

If any of read the last part of my Knuckles review, then you would know this was suppose to be uploaded yesterday. Well yesterday the heat just kicked my ass. On Monday while my grandpa was going to work, I was mowing his lawn, giving him a helping hand what with his back and all, and afterwards when all was said and done I felt miserable. So I needed a brief cool off period.







Why Didn't I See Air?

Now I did want to see Air because Ben Affleck has been doing a lot of things post-Batman, although I still hope we see again if the SnyderVerse continues, but anyhow, but besides Ben Affleck, I'm also curious about bio-pics, and going off from the trailer it did look good. So what was the problem? Well my theater did have a showing but it was weeks after the movie came and the hype was gone by then.





What is Air?

Air is biographical sports drama movie, that was produced by Amazon Studios, Skydance Sports, Artists Equity, and Mandalay Pictures and distributed by Amazon Studios. Air was written by Alex Convery and directed by Ben Affleck.


The story is, Nike has developed a new brand of shoes, however things aren't going well and they're thinking about shutting down the basketball division. After seeing how big rookie player Michael Jordan is becoming, they think the best option will be for him to be their spokesmen and hopefully make their new shoe the hottest sensation.





My Thoughts

The Good: One of many great things about Air is the performances. While I have a track record of playing favorites, I truly want to give credit to all the actors and actresses. Not only were they just plain good, but everybody did a fantastic job just bouncing off each other. They all had great chemistry. I also loved the humor in this. You know I don't give away comedy bits, but I will say there was this one moment when Matt Damon's character is talking to someone on the phone, and the guy on the other line is just having the best profanity laced meltdown. It was hilarious! Then there Ben Affleck's directing. You can tell that Ben was pouring everything into this movie, he clearly loved this story, whether it was basketball, the Nike shoe, or both. The last thing I'll praise is the story. Now yes, they do prop up Michael Jordan, but that's like only 1% of the movie, the other 99% is mainly about the employees at Nike. It was about how they were all worried about being failures even though the firmly believe in their product. That is a story I think people can relate too. Whether it being something like clothing, art, music, film etc. You can understand about making something, believing in it, and hoping, praying it doesn't fail.




The Bad: I've got nothing.




The Okay: Nope, nothing here either.




Final Verdict: A Must Watch!







Why Didn't I See Renfield?

I can't blame my theater for not being able to see this. Cause I actually forgot this movie was coming out. Which is odd, because it was one of my most anticipated.





What is Renfield?

Renfield is a horror-comedy movie, that was inspired by the characters of Bram Stoker's iconic novel, Dracula. It was produced by Skybound and Giant Wildcat and distributed by Universal Pictures. Renfield was written by Ryan Ridley and Robert Kirkman and directed by Chris McKay.


The story is, in the early 20th century Count Dracula meets English lawyer R.M. Renfield and soon makes him his servant. Ninety years later, Renfield has grown tired of having to bring Dracula victims. Now, he wants to find a way to get of his grip forever.





My Thoughts

The Good: One positive is the comedy. Nicely done dark comedy, I loved it all the way through. Then we have the special effects. While some CGI was used, it looked great, I didn't even noticed for the most part. But the best was definitely the practical effects. They were flawless. Which now brings me to the performances. Nicolas Hoult was incredible and played off well with Nicolas Cage, speaking of Nicolas Cage, we was awesome. He went full Nick Cage and it was great, I wish we got even more on it. The last thing I'll credit is Chris McKay's directing. He did a fantastic job, I loved what he did with the incredibly violent action, although seeing this action was also a bit sad, because it just makes me wish we got to see his Nightwing movie before it got canceled, that way we could see more of his action sequences.




The Bad: I've got nothing.




The Okay: The only mix bag was the story. Now, the whole storyline between Renfield and Dracula was really good. The whole theme was abusive relationships and wanting to get out of them. That was very strong and interesting to watch. However, the story with Awkwafina and her cop story. It wasn't bad, but it did feel like a very standard cop vs. corruption story.




Final Verdict: Good.







Why Didn't I See Evil Dead Rise?

Now this is one I can blame on my theater. Much like Air, they didn't have a showing until it was too little, too late. Which sucked! Because I love Evil Dead!





What is Evil Dead Rise?

Evil Dead Rise is a supernatural horror movie and the fifth installment of the Evil Dead franchise. It was produced by New Line Cinema, Renaissance Pictures, Pacific Renaissance, and Wild Atlantic Pictures and distributed by Warner Bros. Evil Dead Rise was written and directed by Lee Cronin.


The story is, estranged sisters Beth and Ellie have reunited and are spending time in Ellie's LA apartment complex. Things are normal at first but after an earthquake Ellie's son discovers one of three volumes of the Naturom Demonto, and he has unleashed the Deadites. Now, the family fights for survival and are hoping to find someway to escape from inside the complex.





My Thoughts

The Good: Much like all the other Evil Dead film we got great gory special effects. If there's one thing that this franchise never fails at, it's over the top gory effects. Then there's the scares. Once again we get a very claustrophobic feel, but what mainly scared me was nobody was safe. Almost everybody was in danger. Adults, teenagers, and even kids, everybody was in danger of getting killed or becoming a Deadite. The last thing I'll write about is Cronin's directing. He was really good, there was also quite a few times when he seemed like he was channeling Sam Raimi with some of his shots. And I mean that as the highest compliment.




The Bad: Nothing here.




The Okay: Now I did like the story for the most part. It was a fun edition to the Evil Dead series, the one downside the theme of sisterhood and motherhood. It was very generic.




Final Verdict: Good.







Why Didn't I See The Covenant?

There was no showing for it at my theater. Simple as that.





What is The Covenant?

The Covenant (or sometimes called Guy Ritchie's The Covenant) is an action drama movie, that was produced by STXfilms and Toff Guy Films and distributed by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. The Covenant is written by Guy Ritchie, Ivan Atkinson, and Marn Davies and directed by Guy Ritchie.


The story is, during the war in Afghanistan a unit is ambushed by the Taliban. Now, Master Sgt. John Kinley and his new interpreter Ahmed must fight through miles of grueling terrain.





My Thoughts

The Good: One praise to give is how Guy Ritchie perfectly handled a war movie. Now yes, Ritchie has broken away from his usual gangster/crime and/or action flicks, and gone on to do other genres. Sometimes it's worked like with the two Sherlock Holmes movies with Robert Downey Jr. and sometimes it hasn't worked like with Swept Away. Thankfully this is one of those times when it works. I would also like to praise our two main leads Jake Gyllenhaal and Dar Salim. Now unsurprisingly Jake gives an astounding performance, and I haven't seen anything Dar has been in other than this movie, but he did leave a good first impression. So while these two do great on their own, they especially do a fantastic job together. They had great chemistry from start to finish. Now we move towards the action. I did like but in a very different way. While I enjoy the more stylish action scenes, where it still elevates the story but it's definitely also a style, I also enjoy action where it's more for a dramatic sense. Where you're more fearful than excited. That's the action we have here. Whenever explosions and gun fire go off, you desperately want our main characters to survive. The last thing I'll praise is the story. One part of the story tells us the horrible things the Taliban did to interpreters and anybody else who had the courage to stand against the Taliban. We see the consequences of these actions, and it's aspect of the war in Afghanistan that we sadly, myself included, never thought of. So it's great to see a film touch upon that subject. The other subject the movie touches on comes from John Kinley and Ahmed. At first they're just two people working together, but after an attack Ahmed makes a sacrifice to save John, then John wants to repay him for saving him. So we have a gripping story of these two making sacrifices that in return turns into a brotherhood.




The Bad: I've don't have anything negative to say.




The Okay: Now while the movie does look good, but there was a quite a few times when the budget was shown. Some VFX just aren't good, however despite some noticeable moments, this wasn't enough to bring down the film for me.




Final Verdict: Great.











Okay folks, that's a wrap. Come back on Saturday, May 4th, for my review of The Fall Guy. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment