Monday, July 20, 2026

A Look Back at Batman: Caped Crusader - Season 1

 


Season two will drop next week. So what better time then to review the first season.





Batman: Caped Crusader is an animated TV series based on DC Comics most popular character. Warner Bros. Animation, DC Entertainment, Bad Robot Productions, 6th & Idaho Motion Picture Company and Amazon MGM Studios produced with Amazon Prime Video distributing. The show is developed by Bruce Timm and this season consists of ten episodes.





The story is, the corrupt outnumber the good. Evil runs rampant and the innocent live in a constant state of fear. One of these innocents affected by these evils was Bruce Wayne. No longer wanting to just be the heir of the Wayne fortune, Bruce became not just someone else, but something else. He became the Batman and vowed a one man crusade for justice. But some of Batman's intentions will have unforseen consequences.








  • Negatives

I've got nothing here.








  • Mixed

The biggest mix element is the writing. Now plots aren't too bad. There really wasn't a moment where I found myself bored. I especially loved the fourth episode "The Night of the Hunters". That was a very exciting episode what with Flass and Bullock trying to lure Batman out, a building being on fire, and Batman trying to save lives while avoiding the police. That was a fun episode. I also loved episode two "...And Be a Villain". I wish I could go into more details for that one, but what I will say is I did like the villain's origin and motivate. It was a good spin on a classic Batman villain. But then you get into things that are more modern when this show is clearly in the 1940s. There's also a slight issue with character development. Batman does start off cold a bit but he does get a little bit of development throughout. But I think the one who got it the worse is Harvey Dent. We're meant to feel said when he becomes Two-Face, but he was already kind acting slimy before his face gets disfigured so he's turn to Two-Face doesn't have that small emotional pull it did in previous Batman media like Batman: The Animated Series or The Dark Knight.



My other slight problem is the animation. Now let me stress something out, the animation is pretty good. It works well. But there are moments when characters aren't as fluid as they should be and there were times when CGI was used, and when there's CG it can kinda clash with the show's art style.








  • Positives

One pro is the voice acting. Initially I wasn't all that excited about Hamish Linklater as Bruce Wayne/Batman. But he did grow on me. He's performance is very strong and he does sound intimidating.



The last thing I'll praise is the tone. The show delivers on a strong and dark atmosphere. Gotham feels dangerous even when nothing is happening, and the show is very mature without going over the top.








Without a doubt the show has flaws. But there's still something to enjoy from it.








My final rating is, Good.








I'm hoping my slight criticisms won't pop up again in season two so fingers crossed. Anyways, that's all for now. Come back on Thursday, Jul 23rd, for another edition of the Road to Avengers: Doomsday. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment