Thursday, October 11, 2018

A Look Back at Goosebumps (2015)




Goosebumps is a 2015 horror comedy based on the children's book series of the same name by R.L. Stine. The movie is produced by Sony Pictures Animation, LStar Capital, Village Roadshow Pictures, Original Film, and Scholastic Entertainment and distributed by Columbia Pictures. Goosebumps was written by Darren Lemke, Scott Alexander, and Larry Karaszewski and directed by Rob Letterman.



The story is a boy has become suspicious of his new neighbor. One day him and his friend Champ break into his house and find a whole collection of Goosebumps books then accidentally release all of the franchise's monsters. Now the boys along with their other friend Hannah & R.L. Stine must stop the monsters and put them back into the stories they came out of.




  • Negatives


My only real complaint is one of the character's fate. I won't go into anymore details just in case none of you saw this movie. I'll give you this one hint. This character is a love interest.





  • Mix


One thing this film is stuck in a grey area is the CGI. Some moments have pretty good CG other times it's not bad CG but it still could have been better.





  • Positives


One thing I didn't expect to get from this movie both now and when it first came out was some fast paced action. This movie is definitely a thrill ride the moment everything goes crazy.



Another aspect from Goosebumps you'll enjoy is the humor. There were quite a lot of funny moments in this. My favorite is when the monsters escape the kids are freaking out but all R.L. Stine could think of was the title to a book.



The biggest surprise for me from this movie was Jack Black as R.L. Stine. He had a good performance. He was mystery when he needed to be and funny when he needed to be.



The last thing I'll give Goosebumps credit for is Dylan Minnette, Odeya Rush, and Ryan Lee as Zach, Hannah, and Champ. They really had good chemistry together and I definitely liked their characters. I was especially surprised to the main characters friend wasn't an annoying unfunny comic relief.






Goosebumps is very much enjoyable movie. It has awesome action sequences that go by fast, a lot of funny moments, Jack Black played R.L. Stine perfectly, and our three main leads were also good. The CGI could have used some work in some places but the most part it's decent. The only real downside is a predictable outcome for one of the characters.




My final rating is Good





So that's going to do it for me. Until next time look out for my review of Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween and next week I'll return to my Jaws series reviews with my review of Jaws 2.




State of The Project (Sept 15th - Oct 15th)



Sept 15th - The Predator Review



Sept 24th - Road to Dark Phoenix - X-Men Review



Sept 27th - Who is Riot?



Oct 6th - Venom Review



Oct 8th - Classic Film Night - Jaws Review



Oct 11th - A Look Back at Goosebumps (2015)



Oct 13th - Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween Review






NOTE: IF ANYTHING CHANGES I WILL TELL YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment