Saturday, October 20, 2018

Halloween (2018) Review




Halloween is a slasher film as well as the eleventh installment to the Halloween film series. The film is a sequel to 1978's Halloween thus disregarding continuity from the previous sequels from Halloween II to Halloween: Resurrection. Halloween (2018) is produced by Trancas International Films, Blumhouse Productions, Miramax, and Rough House Pictures and distributed by Universal Pictures. The film is written by David Gordon Green, Jeff Fradley, and Danny McBride and directed by David Gordon Green.




The story is it's been 40 years after the events of the 1978 massacre caused by crazed serial killer Michael Myers. Michael has been locked up since then but on Halloween night he escapes and returns to his hometown of Haddonfield. What he doesn't know is Laurie Strode has been waiting for this moment.





Initial Reaction



When I saw the first trailer I was already hyped and I was demanding it to be October right now. What got me most excited for this film was it would be the first time I see a Halloween film in theaters as suppose to the Rob Zombie films where I pussed out (I was just a kid when those came out. So of course I avoid them). Another reason why I was excited was John Carpenter was finally coming back to the franchise. Sure it's for producing but still that was a good sign. My final reason for being on board for this movie was simply enough the trailers really drew me in.






Cons



My only real complaint is there are still people who apparently aren't the brightest light bulb. I mean there's a scene where a guy is all broken up about a girl he likes and he sees Michael and he just casually talks to him like it's he's neighbor. And it's not like people don't know who Michael Myers is in this movie. Everyone knows about the massacre that happened on Halloween Night in 1978.






Middle Ground



One thing I was sort in a grey area on with this movie is the new doctor character named Dr. Ranbir Sartain. He has this whole side story arc with Michael. I didn't mind it but at the same time I wasn't all that invested with that part of the story.






Pros



One thing I liked about the film was Laurie Strode's new character. She's what I think is a good example of a strong female character. Yes she's been preparing for this night but at the same time she still has that fear of Michael Myers. But while she has that fear she doesn't allow it to compromise what she sets out to do. What also made Halloween (2018) enjoyable is Michael is back to being a real life serial killer. He's not immortal like he was in Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers through Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers. He's just a normal psychopathic killer nothing more nothing less. Another thing I'll like about the movie is it doesn't go over the top with the kills. There's not blood and guts all over the place. Sure it does get gory during the third act but that's a long way to go. Hell you don't even see some of the kills you just see the aftermath. The other aspect to enjoy from Halloween (2018) is Jamie Lee Curtis' performance. She has not missed one beat playing Laurie. She has hands down the best performance in the film. The final thing I'll give the film credit for the tense. There's so much great suspense in this movie that it actually will make you feel quite a bit nervous. I got real tensed up during the final showdown between Michael and the Strode's.






Halloween (2018) was a better than I thought it would be. It definitely feels like the proper sequel to Halloween (1978). Laurie is still a great like she was in the 1978 original, Michael is back to being just a normal man, all of the gory is very toned down, Curtis' performance gets two thumbs up, and there's brilliantly played suspense. The new doctor character and his arc are alright. But really my only negative is there are some idiots.





My final rating is Great






State of The Project (Oct 8th - Oct 22nd)



Oct 8th - Classic Film Night - Jaws Review



Oct 11th - A Look Back at Goosebumps (2015)



Oct 13th - Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween Review



Oct  15th - Jaws 2 Review



Oct 18th - Explaining The Halloween Timelines



Oct 20th - Halloween (2018) Review



Oct 22nd - Cinematic Disasters - Jaws 3-D





NOTE: IF ANYTHING CHANGES I WILL TELL YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment