Saturday, November 2, 2019

Terminator: Dark Fate Review




Terminator: Dark Fate is a science fiction action film and the sixth film in the Terminator film series. The movie also serves as a sequel to Terminator 2: Judgment Day meaning Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, Terminator: Salvation, Terminator: Genisys, and the TV series Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles didn't happen or as James Cameron puts it occurred in alternate timelines. The movie is produced by Paramount Pictures, Skydance Media, 20th Century Fox, Tencent Pictures, and Lightstorm Entertainment and distributed by Paramount Pictures and 20th Century Fox. Terminator: Dark Fate is written by James Cameron, David S. Goyer, Billy Ray, and Justin Rhodes and directed by Tim Miller.





The story is it's been 27 years after the events of Terminator 2: Judgment Day. A new liquid modified Terminator called Rev-9 has been sent to kill Dani Ramos, a hybrid cyborg named Grace has also came from the future but to protect her. They later meet Sarah Connor and an aging Terminator and together they will all fight for the future.








Initial Reaction



Now I was fully ready for a new Terminator movie. My excitement grew even more when I heard James Cameron was coming back to the franchise. Although I do admit Tim Miller's comment about how this movie will quote "scare the f*ck out of sexist trolls" did rub me the wrong way. Not because I'm one of those sexist trolls it's because Miller apparently doesn't understand that if anyone is seeing this movie is mostly likely because they're fans of the franchise. You know the same franchise with everyone's favorite female badass Sarah freakin' Connor! But other than that I was looking forward to this movie. The experience was going to be made even better because my dad was going to join me (he's a fan of the series just like me and come on who doesn't enjoy seeing a movie with their folks).








Cons





I've got nothing to say. Let's move on.








Middle Ground





One thing that I know for sure is going to cause a divide amongst both fans, the general audience, and etc. is the opening. I won't say what's about I will say it has something to with the Connors. Hell, I myself am conflicted with the opening. It's like that's awesome and is shocking but the same time you could have gone this route. Like I said it's definitely going to be a part of the movie that'll be heavily debated. The other mix bag is a very minimal amount of character development. It's like it's there but at the same time when I left the movie I was thinking maybe there could have been just a little bit more.








Pros





One thing I found enjoyable about Terminator: Dark Fate was the acting. Newcomers such as Mackenzie Davis, Natalia Reyes, and Gabriel Luna really did a good job playing their characters and their performances didn't disappoint. Now onto Linda Hamilton and Arnold Schwarzenegger, they were so great in this. Arnold plays a more humanized Terminator and Linda didn't miss a beat playing the badass Sarah Connor we know and love from Terminator 2: Judgment Day. Now with a new Terminator movie we of course get a new Terminator, this one being the Rev-9. And I liked it. Now yes, it is another liquid Terminator much like the T-1000 from Terminator 2: Judgment Day, the T-X from Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, and the T-3000 from Terminator: Genisys but with each of those they did have their own different ability and the Rev-9 did have that which I think will help it stand out. Another aspect of the movie I want to praise is the action. Tim Miller without a shadow of doubt brought us yet another action filled movie for this franchise. So if you're a fan of what he did for 2016's Deadpool and all of the action in there, then you'll love what he does here. The final thing I'll give credit where credit is due is the special effects. Throughout the movie we got good CG work. Especially for a younger Terminator, Sarah Connor, and John Connor. I mean they literally look just like they did in Terminator 2: Judgment Day. Like you wouldn't believe that that was CGI on them.








Terminator: Dark Fate is a fine addition to the Terminator film series. It has good acting, a pretty cool new Terminator (Rev-9), great action sequences, and some good CGI. The more grey areas are character development and an opening that'll be debated on with no end in sight (kind of like how people are STILL talking about the quality of 2016's Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and 2017's Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi).








My final rating is Good








Alright guys, that's all for me. Please come back on Monday, Nov 4th for another installment of my favorite segment on this blog Raiders of the Lost Media. And this time I'll tell you about a lost Quentin Tarantino movie. Until then enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment