Thursday, November 21, 2019

Road to Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker - Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi Review




Okay, let's just get this out of the way. Yes, I have already reviewed this movie when it came out. But it would've looked weird if I reviewed all of the previous movies and left out this one in what's suppose to be a road leading up to the newest installment. So I've decided to re-review it. Now with that out of the way let's review Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi...again.





Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (or simply Star Wars: The Last Jedi) is a 2017 epic space-opera and the second installment of the sequel trilogy as well as the eighth film in the Star Wars film series. The movie is produced by Lucasfilm Ltd. and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi was written and directed by Rian Johnson.





The story is Luke Skywalker's self-exile is disturbed when Rey comes to him asking for his help to learn more about "The Force". While Rey and Luke are training, Kylo Ren and the First Order are planning an all-out assault on what remains of The Resistance.








  • Negatives


Now during my initial review of the film I was going to talk about a certain character death but I felt like it would have been too much of a spoiler, but it's 2019 and I can finally bring it up and I don't like that Luke dies in The Last Jedi. I really felt like he should have continued on into The Rise of Skywalker for one last hurrah to cap off "The Skywalker Saga" (I sure mean he'll most likely show up as a force ghost but I would have preferred him to be more alive if you get want I'm saying).



Another thing I still don't like about the movie is the lack of backstory for Snoke. Since The Force Awakens when his introduction then The Last Jedi should have given us more details on who he is. But sadly we didn't get that.



The final thing I didn't enjoy about the movie was Holdo's plan. Sure yes it's a good plan but it's never explained why her and Leia didn't tell Poe about it. Because had they done that then Poe wouldn't have been so pissed off and cause a mutiny.








  • Mix


Now comes the mix bags, one of those being Finn and Rose's subplot. While I still understand it was important to the story because they have to get that fuel before the First Order can take out the Resistance's ship but like I said before it just went on for too long.



The other grey area is still the humor. Sure it's funny at times but other times not so much. I mean that scene where Poe suddenly trash talks Hux's mother is still odd to me even to this day.








  • Positives





Very much like my initial review I still enjoyed Mark Hamill's performance. Like I said before he does an excellent job with this version of Luke that has lost all hope after his own nephew turned against him. Which in retrospective still makes me mad that we won't see him again in The Rise of Skywalker.



Speaking of Luke's portrayal in this movie I'm probably going to get so much sh*t for this but I actually kind of liked it. I mean people complained about him being a hermit but yet Obi-Wan and Yoda did the same exact thing. But that's not the main thing the main thing is that he's lost hope despite being so optimistic, I felt like it was only right to make him lose hope because 1) it's a big risk, 2) it add more emotional weight, and 3) think about it he at first thought he wasn't going to have to deal with anymore dark side after Return of the Jedi but here he is yet again having to deal with a family member turning to the dark side.



Another thing I still dug about the movie as Kylo still being conflicted about who he is. He still WANTS to be part of the dark side/the First Order but things in this movie happen that makes him question if he should maybe go back into the light side of things. I still to this day like that and I thought Rian Johnson handled that part of the story very well.



The other thing you'll enjoy about this movie is Rian Johnson's directing. Him and his cinematography pulled off such amazing shots, some of which are very breath taking might I add. I still get chills when Holdo uses lightspeed on the First Order ship. I could go into more detail about that shot but that's a case that words don't do it any justice.



The final aspect I'll give the movie praise is the action. We get some great action sequences throughout the movie. My favorites were the opening ship battle and that throne room scene with Rey and Kylo fighting the guards, that scene no matter how many times you watch it is still awesome.








So is Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi the best film out of the Star Wars film series, no. Is it the absolute worst, again no. It's a very serviceable movie, what with Hamill's performance, Luke's lost of hope, Kylo's struggle, Rian Johnson's directing, and the action scenes. The more mix things are the subplot with Finn and Rose and the use of humor. The real downsides with the movie were Luke's death and the lack of backstory for Snoke.








My final rating is Good. Now I gave this rating because I felt as thought the more brighter spots in the movie helped out weight the more negative things. So please put down the touches and pitchforks....Please?







Okay guys, that's all for me. Come back next time on Monday, Dec 2nd when I begin my Christmas season of reviews and the movie I picked to start off that season is The Polar Express. Until then enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment