Thursday, December 19, 2019

Bad Santa 2 Review




Bad Santa 2 is a 2016 Christmas dark comedy and the sequel to 2003's Bad Santa. The movie was produced by Ingenious, Media Talent Group, and Gunn Films and distributed by Broad Green Pictures and Miramax. Bad Santa 2 was written by Johnny Rosenthal and Shauna Cross and directed by Mark Waters.




The story is Willie and his partner in crime Marcus are planning to steal from a Chicago charity. But just when the thought they have everything under control and things look like they could go smoothly Willie's nightmare of a mother, Sunny shows up. Now Willie must work through his mommy issues, make sure this heist goes off without a hitch, and deal with Thurman.








  • Negatives


Now despite me putting this in the negative category I don't want you to take this one too seriously. One of the most bad things about this movie is it will sadly be forgettable. Because I don't think this movie will be as well remembered as the first movie. I mean it's been two years since this film was released on nothing has really been brought up about it. I haven't seen people talk about it nor have there been any showtimes for TV, it's still the first movie getting all the attention.



The only truly bad thing about Bad Santa 2 is this subplot involving Regent. His subplot in the movie doesn't go anywhere. First it's brought up, then talked just a tiny bit in here and there, and then it just goes away all together. If the writers didn't care so much about Regent then really shouldn't have given him a plot.







  • Mix


Now I'm going to make this short and sweet, much like the previous film I still find the movie's humor to be a bit of a mix bag. Some things got me to laugh others things not so much.








  • Positives

Now much like the first movie Billy Bob Thornton has a great performance. He has not lost one beat playing Willie and he was great from beginning to middle to end. The other great performance came from Kathy Bates, and what's so great is she goes from playing this sweet old lady to being more of this biker woman. She was also pretty good.



Because this is a sequel then you'd probably think it's going to be a train-wreck like many other comedy sequels such as Son of the Mask, Teen Wolf Too, Caddyshack II, Blues Brothers 2000, and so many others but in Bad Santa 2's case it's pretty decent. It's one of those few comedy sequels that I think fans will like and not have any problem with unlike the previous films I just mentioned.








Bad Santa 2 is an okay sequel to the first movie. The performances are really good and there wasn't a single time when I said "Nope, this movie is an insult to the first flick". The humor in my opinion is just as mixed as the first movie. The only bad things are I don't think many people will remember it as the first movie and the pointless Regent subplot.








My final rating is Okay.








So that's all for me. Come back on Monday, Dec 23rd for my review of Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker. Until then enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment