Monday, December 16, 2019

Elf Review


Elf Movie Poster


Elf is a 2003 Christmas comedy film based on William Hobbs' book. The movie was produced by New Line Cinema and Guy Walks Into a Bar Productions and distributed by New Line Distribution. Elf was written by David Berenabaum and directed by Jon Favreau.





The story is when Buddy was a baby he was accidentally sent to the North Pole, despite not being an elf he was raised there as one of their own. Now as an adult Buddy doesn't feel like he fits in, so he decides to travel to New York to find his real father.









  • Negatives



I've got nothing to say. Let's move on.








  • Mix




Now are there funny moments in Elf? Yes there are, plenty of funny moments but once in awhile you'll get a joke that doesn't land or just doesn't work. But for the most part jokes do work.







  • Positives




One thing I found enjoyable about the film is despite it being a Will Ferrell it's a film the whole family can enjoy. Which I found surprising because I'm more familiar with his more adult-oriented films such as Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, and Step Brothers. So I was quite surprised to enjoy a Will Ferrell movie that didn't have those kind of jokes from the films I just listed.



Another thing I liked about the movie is how quotable it is. I never expected a movie simply titled Elf to have so much memorable quotes. Like you hasn't heard and/or said "You sit on a throne of lies" line? Or anything line from this movie.



The other aspect of Elf that makes it good is despite it's Christmas feel you do have kind of a sad story in there as well. Mainly revolving around Buddy. I mean that scene where his real Dad tells him to get out of his life is just a dagger to your heart.



The other thing I liked about Elf was the performances. Every single actor/actress does a great job playing these characters. Of course the best was Will Ferrell, he does such a great job playing the lovable character of Buddy and after watching the movie I really couldn't see another actor playing this character.









Elf is a great Christmas movie. Despite starring Will Ferrell who's more known for his rated R comedies it's a film the entire family can watch, memorable lines, a little bit of dark side to it's story and the performances are really good. The only mix bag is sometimes the jokes don't always work (for me anyhow).








My final rating is Great.








So that's going to do it for me. Come back on Thursday, Dec 19th for my review of Bad Santa 2. Until then enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment