Monday, December 23, 2019

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker Review




Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (or simply Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker) is a epic space opera, the final installment of the Star Wars sequel trilogy following 2015's Star Wars: The Force Awakens and 2017's Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and the final chapter in "The Skywalker Saga". The movie is produced by Lucasfilm Ltd. and Bad Robot Productions and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker is written by J.J. Abrams and Chris Terrio and directed by J.J. Abrams.




The story is it's been a year since the events of The Last Jedi, Now both the Resistance and the First Order are going to settle this war once and for all. While that's going another conflict is reaching it's climax and that one is the long standing battle between the Jedi and the Sith. In the final chapter of "The Skywalker Saga" which side will stand victorious?








Initial Reaction



After The Last Jedi, I was fully ready for the next film in the sequel trilogy. Then my excitement sky rocketed when I heard Chris Terrio was going to write the film and he's written some great movies such Argo, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, I'm not counting the theatrical cut of Justice League because it's clear he didn't write that. So first we have a great director (J.J. Abrams) and then a great writer, so I was all set and ready to go see Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.






Cons



One of my biggest gripes with The Rise of Skywalker is there doesn't really seem to be any room to breath. Like there are barely any moments in the movie where I felt like I could really take in what I was seeing because it's like they wanted the next scenes to arrive as fast as possible. It really makes me hope that Disney will release an extended cut of The Rise of Skywalker because some of those scenes feel like they should be longer/probably would have give us that breathing space we needed. Wouldn't be the first time one of Terrio's scripts got an extended cut (Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Ultimate Edition anyone?)







Middle Ground



The only thing that was a mixed bag for was what was going with Leia's half of the story. Now I wasn't expecting much especially since Carrie Fisher sadly passed away (that still hurts saying it) but I don't know it really didn't feel like her story didn't receive the ending it should have gotten. I don't if they had something to do with Carrie's untimely death or the writers just didn't know what they really wanted to do with her character?








Pros



One thing I enjoyed from this movie was how we got this whole quest adventure of it. Yeah, throughout the movie our characters are looking for special devices that help them get to their exact location to stop the film's big threat. I really dug that because we've never seen that in a Star Wars movie. I know we got them in the cartoons, video games, comics, and books but not the films. Another thing I loved about The Rise of Skywalker is our main bad guy himself, Palpatine. He was awesome and it so great to see him back, and I think what also made his return epic was his scenes were creepy and disturbing. Which I have no problems with because like I said before he was great. The other aspect that makes the movie great is Kylo Ren. Throughout the whole sequel trilogy his character and the arc that came with him has been brilliant and I think it's one of things everyone can agree within the Star Wars fandom. Which leads me to my next praise for the movie in my review that praise being the performances. All of the actors did I fantastic job in this movie, especially our three big leads those being Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, and Oscar Issac. They still do a fantastic job playing there respected characters. But of course I still feel the need to give credit to Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine. Much like he was in the prequels he can still play this sinister character and his performance will definitely be one of the highlights in the movie. The final thing I'll praise The Rise of Skywalker for is the action...mainly the final battle. I mean seriously that ending was a really great way to end this "Skywalker Saga" and I'm gonna say it, I like it more than the ending the battle in Avengers: Endgame.








While I don't think Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker is the absolute perfect ending to the Skywalker Saga, I still think it's a really good movie. What with the quest our characters go on, Emperor Palpatine, Kylo's whole story, the acting (especially Ian McDiarmid), and of course the action (mainly the climatic battle). The only grey area is the Leia side of things. The bad thing about the movie is the lack of breathing room for the audience.








My final rating is Good








So yeah that's all for me. Come back on Dec 30th, Thursday for a special message for you, my readers. Also that message will contain big news regrading this blog. Until then enjoy the rest of your day, maybe see The Rise of Skywalker while your at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment