Thursday, August 6, 2020

Deathstroke: Knights & Dragons Review




Deathstroke: Knights & Dragons is a direct-to-video animated comic book film based on the CW Seed series of the same name. The movie is produced by Warner Bros. Animation, DC Entertainment, Blue Ribbon Content, and Berlanti Productions. Deathstroke: Knights & Dragons is written by J.M. DeMatteis and directed by Sung Jin Ahn.




The story is years ago Slade Wilson (aka Deathstroke) had to save his son Joseph from H.I.V.E.. Now the organization has returned and recaptured his son, Slade dons his suit and weapons once again and shows H.I.V.E. why you never give a paid killer a reason to work for free.







Initial Reaction


Way back when the first episode of the show dropped I was looking forward to the next one, however after months went by I started to think it got cancelled. But when I heard the news they decided to make Deathstroke: Knights & Dragons into a movie I got excited. Even more so when I got to see the trailer, even if was just clips from the first episode it still got me pumped.







Cons



I've got nothing to say. Let's move on.







Middle Ground



The biggest mix bag for the film is the script. Now it's pretty good, it's not the worst thing to happen to animated movies more specially DC animated movies but my issues with it are it does go into exposition and there were times when the dived into Deathstroke's mind but not entirely. Like when we got to those scenes they were really interesting but then by the end of the movie it felt like they were pushed to the side for the most part. So it's a decent script it just could've used more a polish.







Pros



One thing I just gotta give the movie praise for is the action. Much like Justice League Dark: Apokolips War this flick took full advantage of it's R rating. It's definitely a bloody and gory movie, which is a good thing or actually the best thing when you're making a movie about Deathstroke. And even if the action wasn't blood and guts there was a lot of fun punching and kicking going on. Another aspect of Deathstroke: Knights & Dragons that made it good was the animation. It was really good and the animators pulled off quite a few awesome things with it, like this one scene where Slade rapidly slices a bunch of guards into pieces. That was pretty cool. The final thing I'll give the film credit for is the voice work. The actors and actresses all sounded good and I have no complaints. Although I do admit it did take a few moments to get use to the voice that Michael Chiklis provided for Slade/Deathstroke. I just never heard Deathstroke's voice go that deep before, but after wards I do believe Chiklis did a great job.








While the script has it's flaws Deathstroke: Knights & Dragons is still an enjoyable film, what with great action scenes, good animation, and the cast providing great voice work.








My final rating is Good








Well that's going to do it for me. Come back on Saturday, August 8th for my review of the newest David Ayer movie, The Tax Collector. Until then enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment