Friday, August 21, 2020

The One and Only Ivan Review

 
encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT...


The One and Only Ivan is a fantasy movie based on the children's novel of the same name. The movie is produced by Walt Disney Pictures and Jolie Pas Productions and distributed by Disney+. The One and Only Ivan is written by Mike White and directed by Thea Sharrock.





The story is a gorilla named Ivan lives at the Big Top Mall and Video Arcade with no idea of how he got there. One day a baby elephant comes to the mall and is being treated like family by the older elephant named Stella. Then after a sad event Ivan must now find a way to make everyone happy again.








Initial Reaction



So because my theater still hasn't reopened yet (hopefully that'll change come The New Mutants & Tenet 🤞) I once again found myself looking for movies on streaming services and came across The One and Only Ivan. So I hit the play button and hoped to watch a good movie.







Cons



The only thing I truly didn't like about the movie was the post-credit scene. I literally had no reason to be there nor did it bring anything new to the overall product. If anything it should have never been there in the first place.







Middle Ground



One and the two grey areas with The One and Only Ivan is the CGI. It's good for the most part but when the animals are next or close to the human characters it really looked like it could've used more of a polish. The other mix bag is yes the movie has predictable moments but given how everything else was surprisingly good I think you can forgiven it for that.







Pros



Now let's get into the more positives aspects of the film that being the performances. Now there nothing to going to win any awards but there are still pretty good. All the actors whether it's voice work or they're playing real people nail all the emotional bits. What I also liked about the movie is Mack (the ringmaster) isn't a villain. Instead he's a hard working boss who is good but he's just overwhelmed and stressed out because business just isn't going well, I think that's something people can relate too. The last thing I'll praise the movie and it's my biggest praise for it, that being this movie is a lot more deeper than I thought it was going to be. I was expecting a generic comedy starring Bryan Cranston and a gorilla but instead you get a pretty decent family drama flick.








If you're subscribed to Disney+ and you were very disappointed with Artemis Fowl (which let me reminder was butchered by the studio) then I think The One and Only Ivan will cheer you up. Sure it has some slight issues such as the CGI and being predictable and again that post-credit scene was pointless but the movie makes up for those mistakes with good acting, Mack NOT being a bad guy, and being a lot deeper than what you might have expected. 








My final rating is Okay








Now for some big news and that is I want you guys to come back tomorrow. Yes I typed that correctly, I want you to come back here tomorrow, because I will be given my thoughts/what was shown at DC's big event, DC FanDome: Hall of Heroes. Until then enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment