Thursday, March 4, 2021

A Look Back at Coming to America (1988)

 


With Coming 2 America arriving tomorrow I do my usual thing of reviewing the first movie before the sequel comes out. So let's begin.





Coming to America is a 1988 comedy film. The movie was produced by Eddie Murphy Productions and distributed by Paramount Pictures. Coming to America was written by Eddie Murphy, David Sheffield, and Barry W. Blaustein and directed by John Landis.





The story is a wealthy African heir to the throne Prince Akeem wants a wife who will love him regardless of his wealth and power. After he leaves from an arranged marriage, him and his buddy Semmi travel to America and disguise themselves as foreign exchange students. Later Akeem does find love but now he has to try to keep his secret from her.












  • Negatives


I've got nothing to say. Let's move on.









  • Mix


My only grey area with the movie is Darryl. Now he's a good villain. He truly represents people who think they're better than everybody else because he comes from money. However I felt the overall story with him wasn't resolved it just kinda faded out.









  • Positives


One great thing about Coming to America is Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall's performances. Not only do they play Akeem and Semmi but they play multiple characters in this. Some of which I didn't even know it was them.



Speaking of Murphy and Hall they're chemistry together was perfect. When you watch them you really get a feeling that not only are they enjoying doing this movie but, I kind of got the feeling this was two friends having a good time with each other.



Another aspect that made Coming to America great was the memorable characters. Of course you got Akeem and Semmi but you also have King Jaffe Joffer, Lisa, Cleo, and my favorites Clarence, Morris, and Saul. Those last thing we're just awesome and I'm so happy we'll see them in the sequel.



The last thing I'll give the film credit for is the humor. I can't tell you how many times I just found myself laughing so much. I would say what my favorite moment was but this is one of those comedy movies where it's better to see it than someone describe it to you.









Coming to America is a classic. Eddie and Arsenio's acting was good, their chemistry really made the movie even better, it's filled with memorable characters, and it's a very funny movie. The mix bag for me was while Darryl was a good bad guy I just didn't feel like he was given a proper story.









My final rating is Great.









Okay guys that's all for me. Come back on Saturday, March 6th for my review of Coming 2 America. Until then enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment