Saturday, March 6, 2021

Coming 2 America Review

 


Coming 2 America is a comedy film and the sequel to the 1988's Coming to America. The movie is produced by Paramount Pictures, Eddie Murphy Productions, New Republic Pictures, and Misher Films and distributed by Amazon Studios. Coming 2 America is written by David Sheffield, Barry W. Blaustein, and Kenya Barris and directed by Craig Brewer.





The story is Prince Akeem is going to become King of Zamunda until he discovers he has a son in America that he never knew about. Now upon his father's dying wish Akeem must travel back to America and find his son and groom him to become the next Prince of Akeem.












Initial Reaction


Now having loved the first movie it was only natural that I would be excited for the sequel. Now I was worried because I didn't think the people who made the first one wouldn't be doing this film, but luckily the two of the three original writers came back so that really help bring my hopes up. Although I do admit the trailer didn't really do much for me but I wasn't going to let that stop me.








Cons


One issue I have with the movie is other than Akeem and his son nobody else seems to get that much character development. Yes this is their story but they're were also other characters involved but they move or less stay the same.








Middle Ground


One mix bag with Coming 2 America is they do recreate some nostalgic scenes. Sometimes it works other times not so much. Then we have the jokes. Now I laughed at a good portion of them other times I was in complete silence. I mean they literally went with the joke of movie sequels nobody asked for. When that happened Akeem's son might as well have winked at the camera for a split second.








Pros


Now there are two saving graces in this, one of those is Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall. The chemistry they had in the previous in movie is still here and just as strong. And they're performance are also good. And I do want to give the director Craig Brewer some credit as well. He directed very nicely and very sharp.









Coming 2 America is alright. This isn't a movie you have to see and yes, the first is far superior. Eddie and Arsenio are great and Craig Brewer's directing was good. But the jokes and nostalgia scenes are a mix bag and drag the film down a lot. My only true issue was the lack of character development for characters who weren't Akeem and his son.









My final rating is Okay.









So that's going to do it for me. Come back on Monday, Mar 8th for my review of Disney's newest film Raya and the Last Dragon. Until then enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment