Thursday, March 25, 2021

Looking Back at the Films of 2020 Part 3 - Bloodshot & The Way Back

 


Hey everyone. And welcome to part three of Looking Back at the Films of 2020. Today's movies are Bloodshot and The Way Back. So, let's get started.











Why Didn't I See Bloodshot?


Now I was planning on seeing Bloodshot along with my best friend but then COVID starting popping up. Then we heard the theaters we shutting down so me and my friend decided to cancel our plans because at that rate what was the point of trying to find a place to watch it.





What is Bloodshot?


Bloodshot is a comic book movie based on the Valiant Comics character of the same name. It's intended to be the first in a cinematic universe based on the Valiant Comics. The movie was produced by Columbia Pictures, Bona Film Group, Cross Creek Pictures, Annabell Pictures, The Hideaway Entertainment, Original Film, Once Race Films, and Valiant Entertainment and distributed by Sony Pictures Releasing. Bloodshot was written by Jeff Wadlow and Eric Heisserer and directed by David S.F. Wilson. The story is after a successful mission Marine Ray Garrison and his wife take a trip to the Amalfi Coast, however their trip turns into a nightmare when a group of mercenaries kidnaps them and kills them both. But Ray then wakes up in a lab for the organization Rising Spirit Tech and they fill his body with nanite technology. Even though he know has no memory, Ray will push his new powers to their limits, find out who he is, and find the people who killed his wife.





My Thoughts


The Good: One thing I did like about the movie was the action. I had a lot of fun with it, although at the beginning I was worried at first because there was a tiny bit of shaky cam but luckily it was only for one scene. What I also liked about the movie was the technology side of this. Seeing how things work and seeing the tech in action was really cool and I really dug that sci-fi aspect of the film. The finally thing I'll give Bloodshot credit for is there is some sort of entertainment value in it. Which is why I roll my eyes when I hear people say it's "one of the worst comic book movies ever made". Because when I think worse that also means I found no entertainment in it.





The Bad: I got nothing.





The Okay: One thing that was alright with the film was the villains. Their actions towards Bloodshot are indeed awful but they could've used more development. Another mix bag with the movie was the CGI. There are times when it's really good and yeah, you can tell with other scenes. The final thing I'll say about Bloodshot was the acting was alright. It wasn't the worst I've ever scene but at the same time it was the greatest of all time.





Final Verdict: Okay.








Why Didn't I See The Way Back?


Truth be told I was really looking forward to this movie because I really wanted to support Ben Affleck especially since last year I read he was going through a lot of stuff in his life. But sadly my theater wasn't interested in showing this so I had no choice put to call it quits.





What is The Way Back?


The Way Back is a sports drama movie. The film was produced by Warner Bros. Pictures, Bron Creative, Mayhem Pictures, and Film Tribe and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. The story is Jack Cunningham is an alcoholic ironworker and has separated himself from friends and family. One day he gets a call from Father Devine from his old Catholic high school and ask him to coach the school's basketball team, at first Jack is reluctant to do so but soon accepts. Now Jack seeks a path towards redemption as he helps the program from his teenage years back to it's glory days.





My Thoughts


The Good: One thing I want to praise The Way Back for and this is the biggest thing going for the movie is Ben Affleck's performance. He really nails this character and what the struggles Jack is going through. Which makes sense since Ben Affleck himself has said he's had a long struggle with alcoholism. Another thing to praise the movie for is Gavin O'Connor's directing. This is my first time watching one of his movies, I haven't seen his previous ones such as The Accountant or Warrior. I'll fix that soon but anyhow, I like dug what he did here. The directing has a very somber tone to it. Which makes sense given the subjects that are in this. Another aspect of The Way Back that makes it so good is the very relatable struggles. And it's not just alcoholism that movie touches upon but other things that can really break you down. Those struggles in this can touch people who have also been effected by things such as alcoholism, a sick child, and parents who don't seem to support what you're doing. The last thing I'll praise the film for is it's hopeful ending. Despite everything that happened to Jack whether it's in the past or now the movie does end with us thinking that there's still a chance for him to fix up his life. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I like when some movies do that. I like when even though everything is dark there's still a light at the end of the tunnel.





The Bad: Nothing to put here. So move on.





The Okay: Now this movie's story can be very formulaic but, but it does take some risk. Just when you think you know where the story is going a curveball is thrown your way. I mean this movie does have the big epic yes they won moment like many other sports dramas but that was the end of the second act. The last moments in this movie was something I wasn't expecting, and I liked it for that. 





Final Verdict: Great.










Okay guys. That's going to do it for me. Come back on Monday, Mar 29th for a special post regrading cancelled Godzilla vs. King Kong movies. That one's gonna be in celebration of Godzilla vs. Kong. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment