Saturday, October 23, 2021

Dune (2021) Review

 


Dune (or as it's titled onscreen Dune: Part One) is an epic sci-fi film based on Frank Herbert's 1965 novel of the same name, and is part of a planned two-part adaptation. The movie is produced by Legendary Pictures and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. Dune is written by Denis Villeneuve, Jon Spaihts, and Eric Roth and directed by Denis Villeneuve.





The story is a young gifted man named Paul Atreides along with his family are traveling to the most dangerous planet in the entire universe. Once there sinister forces have plotted something horrible that have left Paul at the mercy of this dangerous world. Now he must survive if he wants to put an end to these foes.












Initial Reaction

Now what drew me into the movie was that Denis Villeneuve was going to direct. I liked his work on Arrival and I was really surprised that he was able to bring a sequel to Blade Runner and pulled off making it a good movie. So I was curious about this. Then trailers started dropping I was fully invested in his version of Dune. I was so pumped for this I even watched/reviewed the 1984 version.









Cons

I've got nothing to say. Let's move on.









Middle Ground

The mix feelings I had was with the pacing. There were times when I felt like there were some scenes that were going a little bit slower than I thought they had to be. Other than that I was surprised how much time went by when watching.









Pros

One great thing about the film was Hans Zimmer's score. Much like the world we're transported to within the film, Hans made music that's just as unique as the world of Dune. Another amazing thing about the film was Villeneuve's directing. Once again the man has crafted a beautiful movie. Every single shot is fantastic and really made the scope of the movie much bigger than it needed to be. Denis Villeneuve, you really brought your A-game for this, and for that we're grateful. Then we have the performances. Typically I'll pick which one was my favorite, but with this I felt like everyone did a phenomenal job. The cast really help make this movie just as much as the director. The other aspect of Dune that makes it a wonderful film experience is the special effects. I'm giving the people who worked on those a big round of applause because they were great. Nothing to me seemed to look bad or out of place, it was all so gorgeous. The last thing I want to praise the movie for is the unique world. When the movie first started I was sucked right into this fictional world. I couldn't take my eyes off and I was laser focused on how things worked from the technology to how these houses and the politics around them work. I think what also helped with that bit of the film was whether who read the book or your just a general audience member, I think you'll understand what's going on around you and why/how things do in this world.










Dune was well worth the wait. It has a great Hans Zimmer score, Denis Villeneuve's directing was top notch, the performances were great, the special effects were amazing, and really will be interested in this fictional world. My only slight issue was the pacing with some scenes, not just some.










My final rating is Great.










Like I said before, well worth the wait, and I recommend you watch this film on the big screen. Anyhow, that's all for me. Due come back on Monday, Oct 25th for when I return to the Road to Ghostbusters: Afterlife with my review of.......ugh, Ghostbusters (2016). Yeah...if you couldn't tell with that "ugh", I'm not looking forward to that one. But until then, enjoy the rest of your day and do give Dune a watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment