Saturday, October 16, 2021

Halloween Kills Review

 


Halloween Kills is a slasher film and the sequel to 2018's Halloween, as well as the twelfth movie in the Halloween film series. The movie is produced by Miramax, Blumhouse Productions, Trancas International Pictures, and Rough House Productions, and distributed by Universal Pictures. Halloween Kills is written by Danny McBride, David Gordon Green, and Scott Teems and directed by David Gordon Green.





The story is Laurie Strode, her daughter Karen, and her granddaughter Allyson thought they had finally gotten rid of Michael Myers, but Michael has found a way to escape his burning prison. He's on the hunt again, only this time he's a got a surprise, there's now am entire group of other survivors who want to put an end to him, but will this be enough?












Initial Reaction

After seeing the 2018 film and being very impressed, I was excited for what was next for the franchise. So when I saw that they were making both Halloween Kills and Halloween Ends I couldn't wait. Then we got a trailer and I was hooked. Later on, I got even more pumped for this movie when Geek Vibes Nation said the reviews things like "It's the best entry" and "The carnage is on another level". After reading that I just wanted it to be Oct 15th already.









Cons

I've got nothing to say. Let's move on.









Middle Ground

One grey area with the movie is with Laurie Strode. Going by the marketing I was lead to believe she was going to have another showdown with Michael Myers. But really she's stuck in the hospital recovering. Now I understand why the filmmakers went with that decision. One, the character (and Jamie Lee Curtis) is an old lady now, so really she can't just spring back into action like nothing happened to her. Two, she did get pretty messed up in the last movie. So it makes sense that she wouldn't be able to do anything. So if anything I'm blaming marketing for this one. The other mix bag is the humor. It mainly stems from two characters named Big John and Little John, and I thought they were good. But there are those times when I felt like the jokes just didn't work.









Pros

Now to discuss the more positives things about Halloween Kills and that's the music. Much like the 2018 film it's very John Carpenter like, but with a little bit more put into it. What I also liked about the film was the 1978 flashbacks. Not only do we get just a tiny bit more information about what happened that night but, those scenes were shot incredibly well. It actually looked like I was watching a 1978 movie. Right down to the way the characters looked to even the quality. Now I'm going to keep this next part brief, but everything you heard about the kills are true. They were both brutal and bloody. There were times when I actually cringe or grab a body part like my arm. That was how vicious the kills were. The last thing I'll give Halloween Kills credit for and it's my absolute favorite part of the entire movie, and it's the mob story. We got a bit of that in Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers, but this one goes full force with that idea. And what I mostly liked about it was it really showed how the people of  Haddonfield have been effected by Michael Myers. They themselves are becoming the very monster they want to stop. It was quite an interesting part of the movie.










Halloween Kills much like the 2018 movie is one of the better editions to the franchise. It's got a good score, great 1978 flashback scenes, brutal killings, and that mob story was great. The only grey parts were Laurie Strode and the humor.










My final rating is Good.










So yeah, I think you should check Halloween Kills out. In theaters not on streaming. Anyhow, that's going to do it for me. Come back tomorrow on Oct 17th for my thoughts on DC FanDome. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment