Monday, December 13, 2021

A Look Back at Sing (2016)

 


Sing is a 2016 3D animated musical comedy film. The movie was produced by Illumination Entertainment and distributed by Universal Pictures. Sing was written and directed by Garth Jennings.





The story is a struggling theater owner named Buster Moon is tying his best to save his theater. His big idea is to hold singing competition, in the hopes that this will save his business. Along the way, we say not only how this competition is effecting him, but the contests as well. Can Buster save his dream theater or is everything just gonna blow up in his face?










  • Negatives

I've got nothing to say. Let's move on.









  • Mix

Now I fully agree that yes, this movie does go by the usual tropes and clichés they were probably expecting. However, I feel as though what really helped the movie and made us forgive those is that all of the good really did work for it. So even though, you know the clichés that doesn't you from having a good time with the film.










  • Positives


One positive to Sing is the animation. It's very well done. The Moon Theater it's self is pretty good, because when we look at it, you truly feel as though that once was a building that was spectacular, but now has truly seen better days. Another spot where the animation shines is when our characters are dancing and really getting into the songs. There's quite a lot great movements going on for them.



What also worked for Sing was the cast. The voice actors did a great job with their characters. From Matthew McConaughey's optimistic Buster Moon to Scarlett Johansson's punk rocker Ash to Tori Kelly's shy Meena. All of them did a fantastic job and I'm very much looking forward to seeing them yet again in Sing 2.



Another thing I found enjoyable about the movie and it's one of it's biggest highlights and that's the characters. Even if they fill into a certain cliché we're given very relatable reasons as to why they're part of this competition. Some do it cause they like to sing or some do it cause they wanted something more in their lives. Witness this sort of thing from this movie really does make you hope that they get what they want.



The last thing I'll give the film credit for and it's another of it's big highlights and that is just a feel good experience. Even if I had seen the movie multiple times, I always have this good feeling in me afterwards. This experience along with the characters is why I really enjoy the movie even with it's flaws. And I think that's definitely worth getting either a good score or a pretty decent score for this movie.









Honestly Sing is one of my many favorite animated movies. Sure it does fall into the usual tropes, but what saves it from being so bad is the animation, the voice acting, the characters, and the overall feel good moments.









My final rating is Good.









So that's going to do it for me. I'm very much looking forward to Sing 2, I don't care if the trailer "give away the entire movie", I'm just excited. Anyhow, come back on Thursday, Dec 16th. Cause of that day I'm going to be talking about a certain Sam Raimi Spider-Man film and a certain Marc Webb Spider-Man film. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment