Monday, December 20, 2021

Mother/Android Review

 


Mother/Android is a science fiction thriller movie. The film is produced by Miramax and 6th & Idaho Motion Picture Company and distributed by Hulu. Mother/Android is written and directed by Mattson Tomlin.






The story is the world is caught up in a war between man and A.I.'s. Because of this a couple must flee their country and go to a safe heaven, for not only their safety but their unborn child as well. Only God knows what kind of threats they'll face along the way.










Initial Reaction

What got me interested in the movie was not only the idea, but much like Project Power was Mattson Tomlin. Because again, he's an uncredited writer for Matt Reeves' The Batman, so I'm very curious about his other projects that aren't related to the film.









Cons

The movie's biggest issue and very much a well deserved complaint is there's not much world building. We barely get to know enough about it. We know a little bit here and there, but not enough to say, we have a complete picture.









Middle Ground

The mix bag was the characters. I thought they were okay. At the same time I wasn't fully invested. I mean if anybody died, yes it would be a shock, but not one were you go "No, not that person, I really loved them."









Pros

Now there are three good aspects to Mother/Android that prevent me from giving it one of my lower ratings. One of those aspects is Chloë Grace Moretz's performance. She was absolutely great in her role, as a pregnant mother just trying to survive long enough for her child to be born. And since I'm on the subject of her, let's talk about both her and her co-star Algee Smith. Their chemistry is another reason why I truly can't give the film such a low rating. Both of them are the true highlight of the movie. The last thing I'll give Mother/Android is there were a lot of good moments of intensity. There were scenes that I actually found myself in a very suspenseful mood, and was wondering how are our characters going to get out of their situations.









I do think Mother/Android is getting too much of a bad reputation. It's by no means an awful film. The main issue stems from a lack of world building. The characters are just okay. The things that really kinda of save the film in a way are Moretz's performance, her chemistry with Algee, and some very effective intense moments.









My final rating is Okay.









So that's going to do it for me. Come back on Thursday, Dec 23rd for my review of Sing 2. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment