Monday, December 27, 2021

Don't Look Up Review

 


Don't Look Up is a satirical science fiction film. The movie is produced by Hyperobject Industries and distributed by Netflix. Don't Look Up is written by Adam McKay and David Sirota and directed by Adam McKay.





The story is two low-leveled astronomers named Randall and Kate have discovered that an asteroid is heading towards Earth. Just to make matters worse, the asteroid will be arriving in only six months. Now Randall and Kate set off a to warn everyone about the oncoming threat.











Initial Reaction

What drew me into the movie was yes, the cast, but also Adam McKay. He's made a lot movies that I really enjoyed. Such as Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, Step Brothers, The Other Guys, and so many other flicks. So when I heard his name was attached to this project, I was hooked.









Cons

One of the biggest problems with Don't Look Up is it's not engaging. Somehow the filmmakers made an asteroid hurtling towards Earth and trying to warn everyone, seem boring. I understand the movie wasn't trying to be this crazy heart pounding adventure flick, but still make it seem interesting. You can make a slow story work with the proper build up, but that wasn't here. What also made this feel like a chore was the pacing. It's honestly a mess. One point it wants a slow build up, then it wants to be fast moving, then we're back to slow again. Someone really should've told the filmmakers about this problem, then maybe the film could've been some what better. Then there's the editing. I don't know what Adam McKay was thinking when he saw this, but wow. One moment we could be focused on the characters, then we'll get a shot of their arms being crossed, then back to them talking. If that wasn't distracting enough they also used stock footage. I wish I was making that up, but no. They actually did that.









Middle Ground

One gray area with the movie is the humor. There are times when it actually works. Other times you just roll your eyes. Like okay I did laugh quite a lot when they showcased the politicians being greedy idiots, but that did run it's course pretty fast. The other mix feelings I had was Adam McKay's directing. He did truly direct a beautiful looking movie, however I had a hard time to really enjoy it because of the editing.









Pros

The only aspect I'll really enjoyed was the performances. Even though the movie really isn't all that good, the people in front of the camera did a really good job. Which does somewhat help the overall product.










Honestly I can't get behind this movie. It's premise somehow isn't interesting, the pacing is awful, and I have no idea what's going on with the editing. The humor does work to some extent and while McKay's directing is very good, you can only enjoy a little bit. The only positive is the acting.









My final rating is Bad.










Much like The Matrix Resurrections this was a letdown. But I do wish for you to come back on Thursday, Dec 30th for my review of How the Grinch Stole Christmas starring Jim Carrey. Yes, the holiday season is over, but I really want to review that one. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment