Saturday, December 18, 2021

Spider-Man: No Way Home Review

 


Spider-Man: No Way Home is a comic book movie, as well as a sequel to both Spider-Man: Homecoming and Spider-Man: Far From Home, and the 27th movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The film is produced by Marvel Studios, Columbia Pictures, and Pascal Pictures and distributed by Sony Pictures Releasing. Spider-Man: No Way Home is written by Chris McKenna and Erik Sommers and directed by Jon Watts.






The story is after the events of Spider-Man: Far From Home, Peter Parker's life as both himself and Spider-Man has been nothing but an absolute mess. In order to get his secret identity back, Peter goes to Doctor Strange. However, Strange's spell goes wrong and villains from across the multiverse are coming to their world. Now Peter must put a stop to these sinister threats.










Initial Reaction

Being a Spider-Man fan I was looking forward to this. I had my doubts because the last Spider-Man movie (Far From Home), was just okay. However when started hearing news that they were brining back the old villains from the Riami and Webb films thus making this a big multiverse flick, I was pumped. Especially for Willem Defoe's Green Goblin. Absolutely loved that character.









Cons

I've got nothing to say. Let's move on.









Middle Ground

One mix bag was the humor. There were some bits that really weren't needed, but unlike the last Spidey film, for a majority of the time I could pull through. Then we have the villains. There's instances where I felt like they weren't being as serious as they should be, but overall I thought they were fine.









Pros

One positive was Jon Watts' directing. Sure I liked what he did for Homecoming and Far From Home, here there was one shot where Spidey is standing in the rain, and thinking about recent events, and they way it looked looked beautiful. That was by far my favorite scene in the movie. Then there's the action. Especially during the third act. There's this one scene, where sure Peter is still putting up a fight, but throughout the whole thing he is just getting tossed around and basically just getting the crap beating out of him. Then we have the final battle. I really wish I could tell you more about, but it's a spoiler even though you probably know what it is. What I will say is I felt like a kid again. I really did. What I also liked about No Way Home was there was a lot more emotional weight in this than the first two. There's this scene where someone dies, it's handled extremely well. There's no joke or anything to ruin it. It's truly a dramatic scene. Then after Ned and Michelle after their scene, we're back with Peter and it's another great emotional moment.  This is something Marvel Studios really needs to do more of. Sure, you can still have your fun, but if you're going to do something with drama, actually make it count. Don't just be dramatic, then have a pause, then have a joke come in. What also made this movie worth checking out was the ending. It was very bitter sweet. I want to say more, but it goes into spoiler territory. So it's best left at that. The ending is bitter sweet. The last aspect I'll give credit for is the question the movie left me with, and that's, what happens next? The mid-credit scene gives kind of an idea, but with everything Peter's been through, what's his next step. Sure he's still Spider-Man, but after what he had Dr. Strange do, where will he go from here?









Spider-Man: No Way Home is by far Tom Holland's best Spidey film. Watts' direction was pumped up a notch, the action especially the later half was good, there's some good dramatic stuff this time around, I loved the bitter sweet ending, and I'm very curious where Tom's Spider-Man will go from here. The gray areas was with the humor and the villains.









My final rating is Good.









So yeah, give Spider-Man: No Way Home a watch. But that's all for me. Come back on Monday, Dec 20th for my of Hulu's Mother/Android. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment