Monday, February 7, 2022

Cinematic Disasters - Catwoman

 


Been waiting a long time to review this one. And with Catwoman: Hunted arriving soon, now was a good time to finally review it. Let's go!





Catwoman is a 2004 comic book movie based on the DC Comics' character of the same name. The film was produced by Village Roadshow Pictures, Di Novi Pictures, Frantic Films, and Maple Shade Films and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. Catwoman was written by John Brancato, Michael Ferris, and John Rogers and directed by Pitof.





The story is Patience Phillips was once a meek designer. All of that changes when she was almost murdered when she discovers a conspiracy among a cosmetic company. Now that she's been revived she wants to find out what the big secret is that almost got her killed, and she's going to do that has a new crime fighting heroine, Catwoman.












My Thoughts

The most hilarious thing about this movie the writers clearly had no idea who Catwoman is. To put it into perspective, they have the title character do this I thought Catwoman would do before I read the comics and watched the cartoons as a kid. Sniffs catnip ✔, hisses a dogs ✔, purrs ✔, and all sorts of stuff like that. Like I said this what my tiny kid brain thought Catwoman would be.


And not only is the characteristics not right but so her skill set. Apparently she actually gets cat-like abilities....from a cat that's been around for centuries....I swear to God I didn't make that up. That was all the movie's doing. I just don't understand how you could screw up a basic character like this?



What I also found funny was the editing. I'm just gonna let this basketball scene speak for itself.


Someone approved of this....someone looked at this scene and thought to themselves "Yeah. That's great, put in the movie."



Then there's the CGI. Holy crap I don't even think they were really trying. It's so obvious. The CGI for this film looked like it would've been better suited for a PS2 game.



Now let's talk about the villains, honestly this the only part of the movie I didn't like. Because even though I did have fun with this, I just found them to be forgettable. Which is rather odd given how memorable everything else is.



There is one positive I'll give the film, that being Halle Berry's performance. I never understood why her performance in this was so critical panned. She does a terrific job despite how laughable the script is.








Catwoman is just amazing. The movie doesn't come close to the source material, the editing is a mess, and the CGI is hilariously bad. Which made those things such an awesome viewing experience. The best thing was Halle's acting. The only downside was the villain being forgettable despite everything I just mentioned.








My final rating is So Bad, It's Good.









Now this was going to be a much longer review, but I thought this a bad comic book movie that you should just watch for yourself, and read me go on and on and on. Anyhow, that's going to do it for me. Come back on Thursday, Feb 10th for my review of Catwoman: Hunted. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment