Saturday, February 19, 2022

Texas Chainsaw Massacre Review

 


Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a slasher film, and a direct sequel to 1974's The Texas Chain Saw Massacre as well as the ninth installment of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre franchise. The movie is produced by Legendary Pictures, Bad Hombre, and Exurbia Films and distributed by Netflix. Texas Chainsaw Massacre is written by Fede Alvarez and Rodo Sayagues and directed by David Blue Garcia.





The story is Melody, her sister Lila, and her entrepreneur friends go to Harlow, Texas in hopes of renovating the small town. What they don't know is the chainsaw wielding serial killer known as Leatherface is out to slaughter them. While that is going on, the sole survivor of the 1973 massacre, Sally Hardesty has remerged and wants to put a stop to the infamous murder.











Initial Reaction

I think it's pretty obvious as to why I was looking forward to this. It's Texas Chainsaw Massacre, what more does anyone have to say? Granted I still had my doubts, but I was still curious. Although much like Scream, I wish they came up with a more original title. Didn't mind it at first when Halloween did it back in 2018, but this is the third an iconic horror franchise as done this, and it's really becoming ridiculous.









Cons

One downside with this is the post-credit scene. I didn't see the point in it. This really should've been a deleted scene, cause there's no point. It's like they wanted to do a little wink for nostalgia, but it failed. Other issue I had was with Sally. She really didn't need to be here. The character this time around was so pointless, that you easily could've written her to be anybody else. Change a little bit of dialogue here and there and boom! You got a completely different character. It was clear they tried to copy the whole thing with Laurie Strode with the new Halloween films, but they really missed the mark.








Middle Ground

Now the movie does take place in the 2020s, what with the setting taken place 50 years after the first movie. And for a good portion of the movie they not completely in your face about. But from time to time you'll get those scenes. One that I shook my head on was when Leatherface is around a group of people in a bus, they take out their phones, and one guy said and I kid you not, actually says "Try anything and you're cancelled bro". Like I said I shook my hand, that was just stupid.








Pros

The biggest positive for me with this newer installment to the franchise was it felt like a classic slasher flick. Group of people start sh*t, killer doesn't take to kindly to that, next thing you know people are getting slaughtered left and right. It was short, sweet, and to the point. I think if the audience just want to watch a simple horror movie, here ya go.








Honestly people are being way too harsh on this one. I mean... seriously? This is the worst movie out of the entire franchise? Did anybody see Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation? Talk about an awful Texas Chainsaw movie. This movie does provide a good slasher movie experience. Sometimes the modernization doesn't always work, but it wasn't too bad. The only downsides were the post-credit scene and Sally.








My final rating is Okay.








So yeah, this movie is decent. But that's all for me. Come back on Thursday, Feb 24th for the final installment of my Road to The Batman, with my review of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Been dying to review that one. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment