Saturday, February 12, 2022

Kimi Review



Kimi (stylized as KIMI) is a thriller movie. The film is produced by Warner Bros. Pictures & New Line Cinema and distributed by HBO Max. Kimi is written by David Koepp and directed by Steven Soderbergh.





The story is Angela Childs has just came across a recording of a violent crime being committed while reviewing some data streams. Now she must report this to the authorities, but her problem isn't just the people trying to stop her, so also has to deal with her agoraphobia. Can she overcome her worst fear, or will a murder get away with it?












Initial Reaction

My main reasons for wanting to see this was because of the director Steven Soderbergh and the writer David Koepp. Those two have both brought us some great movies so seeing how they were teaming up got me interested.








Cons

The biggest problem with the movie is despite being a thriller, it's not very thrilling, a matter of fact calling it boring would be very accurate. The movie's tone by no means keeps you all that interested. I even stopped watching for a moment and came back to it later, that is how uneventful everything felt. The only proper way to treat this is to have as background noise while you're doing something else. They TRY to to shake things up by having the setting be part of COVID, but that was so pointless, so unnecessary that it easily could've been written out of the entire movie, and nothing of value would've been lost. It actually makes me wonder why that was even put in there in the first place? My other issue with Kimi was the villains. They were as generic as generic gets. I found nothing interesting about them. And that's really all you gotta say about them. Just call them generic and move on. The movie is also very predictable. After a couple minutes maybe when I was getting close to the one hour mark, I was starting to see things coming from a mile away. Whenever there's suppose to be an action scene, you're not really excited cause you know what's gonna happen. One moment in particular was just hilarious, because our bad guys tried to abduct Angela, while there are protesters right in front of them. I'm not lying when I say  I laughed at that. Cause how dumb to you have to be to think that was a good idea? Now I don't know if anybody else as brought this up, but it's something I noticed. But currently this has to be the most bland looking film I've seen so far for 2022. It's not really a good looking movie. The cinematography is just very uninspired. It almost came off as a TV movie, but if you threw in an extra million to the budget.








Middle Ground

One okay aspect of Kimi was Zoë Kravitz's performance. She was fine. She certainly got the job done with what little material was here. I'll give the music some credit too. It's very good but, I don't think parts of it was used properly. I remember this one scene where Angela is running from the villains inside a building, and the music didn't fit at all.








Pros

Sadly I got nothing.









Kimi is a very skippable movie. There was nothing that keeps you interested, the bad guys are generic, it's predictable, and the overall look of the movie was just bland. Zoë's acting is fine, and maybe people will like the music. But overall this is one of those movies that I don't understand why critics are rating it so highly.








My final rating is Bad.









Well that was quite the let down. But do come back on Monday, Feb 14th for my review of Shut In. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment