Monday, November 8, 2021

Finch Review

 


Finch is a post-apocalyptic sci-fi drama movie. The film is produced by Amblin Entertainment, Reliance Entertainment, Walden Media, ImageMovers, and Misher Films and distributed by Apple TV+. Finch is written by Craig Luck and Ivor Powell and directed by Miguel Sapochnik.





The story is a huge destructive event has cause an inventor named Finch to be the last man on Earth. In order to keep both him and his dog company Finch has managed to build a robot named Jeff. Soon, a superstorm causes him and his friends to go on a road trip, and along the way Jeff is learning the meaning of what it feels to be truly alive.









Initial Reaction

The main reason I wanted to see Finch was much like the reason I wanted to see Greyhound, Tom Hanks. Okay, there is more reasons than that, it was also because when I watched the trailer I was very fascinated about the story that was shown.









Cons

I've got nothing to say. Let's move on.








Middle Ground

Now there is a lack of stakes. Sure, I would've preferred just a little bit more. But at the same time I'm more than willing to forgive that. Cause the filmmakers weren't telling some sort of Mad Max ripoff story. They were telling a heartfelt drama story about a man, a robot, and the dog.








Pros

One pro to the film is the special effects. I was very surprised by how flawless everything was. The best effect is Jeff. It's one part CGI and another part animatronic, and it blended together perfectly. What also made Finch a good watch was Miguel Sapochnik's directing.  Despite the setting being nothing but a wasteland, there were a lot of beautiful visuals on display. Another positive was Tom Hanks and Caleb Landry Jones' performances. Tom once again brings another spectacular performance, and really nailed playing Finch, who's character just wants a moment of peace with everything he's been through. Then we have Caleb who's voice work really made Jeff such a lovable robot. I really loved that character. What I also loved about the movie was the moments of intensity, heartwarming, and sadness. All of those moments executed greatly. There was a point in the film where I was actually trying to hold back tears. Now despite all of the drama and sadness of the scene I mentioned, the movie does have a hopeful ending. I can't give it away, but it did make me feel like our characters will be hopefully just fine.









I really did like Finch. I thought it had good effects, great directing, spectacular performances from Tom Hanks and Caleb Landry Jones, effective emotional moments, and an ending that leaves the characters in at least some what of a good spot. Could've used just a little more stakes, but I think you can forgive the movie for that.









My final rating is Great.









So yeah, I think if you're interested give Finch a watch. For now that's going to do it for me. Come back on Saturday, Nov 13th for me my review of another new Netflix movie, Red Notice. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment