Saturday, November 6, 2021

Eternals Review

 


Eternals is a comic book movie based on the Marvel Comics' of the same name. It's also the 26th film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The movie is produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. Eternals is written by Ryan Firpo and Kaz Firpo and directed by Chole Zhao.





The story is after the events of Avengers: Endgame a sinister force has reawakened called the Deviants. Now beings known as the Eternals, an immortal alien race that has been living on Earth for more than 7,000 years, must reunite and stop their evil counterparts before humanity is destroyed.









Initial Reaction

At first my excitement for this movie was high, because yet again we got another film for the MCU. However, when footage started to be shown my interest went down quite a lot. I don't know exactly what it is, but something about the trailers and TV spots just weren't doing it for me. But I thought maybe by the time I see the movie it'll either be good or hopefully decent.









Cons

The only thing that I absolutely hated about the movie is the mid-credit scene. I started off fine enough but they quickly turned cringe comedy. Not only that but I ruined what could've been a perfectly good "what's gonna happen next?" ending. If anything the post-credit scene should've replaced the mid-credit scene, and the mid-credit scene should've been cut out.








Middle Ground

One gray area with Eternals is the humor. Some of actually works because it didn't feel like it was trying so hard. Not too mention it could also be subtle. Other times it would just make you groan. Those parts were actually so bad I swear the audience that was with me just disappeared for a moment. That's how quiet they were. What was also a bit iffy was the CGI. Most of the times it was good. Other times it could kind of look like a video game. Now this one mix bag is something that I was a little surprised by, and that was this film tries to part some focus on character. Most of the time the Eternals aren't fighting they're just sitting around talking about what they've been doing since they split up and debating about whether or not they should fight against the enemy. Now, not every character get this development. Some do get pushed to the side in favor of someone else.








Pros

One positive was Cholé Zhao. There were a lot of times when I was surprised with some of the visuals in this. What was also pretty good was the action. I actually was having feels of both excitement and curiosity during the final battle. The last thing I'll give credit where it's due is the post-credit scene. The reasons being much like the ending it left me curious, and there's a voice in the background that belongs to a Marvel who's getting his own upcoming movie.










Eternals is alright. I has really good directing, good action, and an even better post-credit scene. What could've been worked on more was the humor, the CGI, and the character development. The only thing that was truly terrible was the mid-credit scene.









My final rating is Okay.









So that's going to do it for me. Come back on Monday, Nov 8th for my review of the newest Tom Hanks' film, Finch. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment