Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Road to Avengers: Doomsday - Books of Doom Review




Alright folks before we get started, let me explain something. For any of you who read my Mayday post let me just say I'm doing much better than when I uploaded that. So without any further ado, can you believe we're almost at the end of this Road to Avengers: Doomsday? It felt like I only started doing this a couple of weeks ago then months ago.





Books of Doom is a 2005-2006 six issues miniseries published by Marvel Comics. It was written by one of my many favorite writers Ed Brubaker and every issue was drawn by Pablo Raimondi.





The story is, Doctor Doom is recounting his life story to a journalist. About how he rose up from childhood tragedy to the great ruler of Latveria the world sees today. But, the true story might not be exactly as how Doom is telling it.








  • Negatives

I've got nothing.









  • Mix

Got nothing here either.








  • Positives

One positive is the pacing. Not only are these quick reads, but if you ever read the collected edition that flow is even better because it's far more continuous. What also helped with the pacing is each issue pretty much a self-contained story. So if you finish issue one it won't feel like you absolutely need to read issue two because the story felt like it's on pause for the next part.


My next praise goes to Raimondi's art. I wasn't aware of Raimondi's work until I read this and I l liked what he did. His figure work is strong, his expressions on the faces are really good, and his details from settings to time periods to Doom's armor all get a thumbs up.


The last thing I'll praise is Ed Brubaker's writing. Firstly, we've seen Doctor Doom's origin explored before in comics one being Fantastic Four (1961) Annual #2, but you don't have to read that to understand this story. If you're a new reader you can just jump right into this with no prior knowledge to other Doctor Doom stories. But what I especially loved was how Brubaker framed this story. Because Doom has either the biggest or top five biggest egos in the Marvel Universe, Doom is an unreliable narrator. This was a smart because much while stories like Interlude gave us a glimpse, this comic goes even deeper into Doom's arrogance, self-justification, convince of his own superiority, and just how much he views himself as the hero. He quite literally twists events to make sure his image isn't destroyed. One example was in the first issue where during a funeral for a family member he lost at a young age, there's people not saying the nicest things about the deceased and Doom says he gave a speech that brought them back to their senses, back to the light. When in actuality he threatened them. And that's only one example of his grandiose delusions.








I strongly recommend you read this before seeing Avengers: Doomsday. It's not only a great dive into Doom's origin but a great dive into Doom's mind.








My final rating is, A Must Read!








So that's all for now. Sorry for posting this pretty late but...I really wanted to watch the newest episode of Dark Side of the Cage 😅. But anyhow, come back on Thursday, Sept 10th, for when I do part two of the Road to Ice Age: Boiling Point. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment