Monday, August 7, 2017

A Look Back at The Nut Job (2014)

Image result for the nut job




Before I get into the review let me explain something. I'm reviewing this because there's a sequel coming out this Friday and I thought I should get familiar with it's predecessor. That way when I see The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature I'll understand who these characters are and what their previous adventure was.



The Nut Job is a 2014 3D animated comedy heist film based on Peter Lepeniotis' 2005 short film Surly Squirrel. It's produced by Red Rover International, ToonBox Entertainment, and Gulfstream Entertainment. The film was distributed by Open Road Films. It was written by Peter Lepeniotis and Lorne Cameron and directed by Peter Lepeniotis.



The story is Surly has accidentally destroyed a supply of food for the winter. Now he has been banished from Liberty Park then during his banishment he finds a nut shop. He later hatches a plan to steal all of the nuts in that shop.




  • Negatives


One issue I have with The Nut Job is our main hero Surly. It was really hard for me to root for him because he was so mean spirited. Now having mean spirited characters can actually work if done right but it doesn't work here.


Speaking of characters. I really didn't care that much about any of them. Mainly because we seen these character traits before. Surly is obviously our hero, his friend Buddy is he's mute sidekick, a female squirrel named Andy is the one who cares for others and will eventually become Surly's girlfriend. All that stuff.



Maya Rudolph plays a pug named Precious and I felt like she was miscasted. The reason is I didn't think her voice would come out of that dog. I don't know if that was the point but it just didn't feel right with me.



One thing that drove me crazy was they played the song Gangnam Style not once but twice. This doesn't work because one it's an awful song and two it shouldn't be here because the movie looks like it takes place in the 1940s or 1950s. Using that song in the movie was a stupid idea.




  • Mix

The movie's humor is a mix bag. While it does have some jokes or gags that made me laugh other times the jokes were predictable.





  • Positives


The only thing I really appreciated in this movie was the animation. It's not something that would give Disney a run for it's money but it is done quite well. The fur textures on all the animals are great.




The Nut Job's main problems are not making Surly likeable, bland characters, miscasting Maya Rudolph, and for whatever reason using the song Gangnam Style. The humor is passable but could have done better. The best thing about it though is it's animation.




My final rating is Bad But Harmless





State of The Project (Aug 3rd - Aug 17th)



Aug 3rd - Underrated Films - The Nice Guys Review


Aug 5th - Sorry There's Nothing Here


Aug 7th - A Look Back at The Nut Job (2014)


Aug 10th - Raiders of The Lost Media - Mythbusters - Cannibal Mouse (NSFW)


Aug 12th - The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature Review


Aug 14th - Cinematic Disasters - Supergirl


Aug 17th - Batman and Harley Quinn Review



NOTE: IF ANYTHING CHANGES I WILL TELL YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment