Saturday, March 10, 2018

A Wrinkle in Time Review


AWrinkleInTimeTeaser.jpg


A Wrinkle in Time is a science fantasy adventure based on the 1962 novel of the same name by Madeleine L'Engle. The movie is produced by Walt Disney Pictures and Whitaker Entertainment and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. A Wrinkle in Time is written by Jennifer Lee and directed by Ava DuVernay.



The story is Meg Murry's scientist father Mr. Murry has been missing for five years. Soon she discovers he's been stuck a newly discovered planet. Joined by her younger brother and friend they need to travel through time and space to rescue him, along with the help of three mysterious astral travelers named Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Which. But during this journey dark forces are willing to do anything to stop them.






Initial Reaction


When I saw the first trailer I was really looking forward to this movie. But then the film would slip my mind in matter of fact I almost decided to brush it off and wait for another March film to show up at my theater. Then when I saw Black Panther back in February my interest was renewed.





Cons


One problem the film has is Deric McCabe as Charles Wallace Murry. I don't want to knock his performance down because he's just a kid but I don't think he did a good job. It just felt he was forcing it a lot. The film's other problem is the really really weak climax. Basically when Meg is fighting the "it". Things got intense there was emotion then the "it" is beaten. It didn't feel the final fight was really over it kind of felt like it just stopped not concluded. To sum the fight up it's the definition of anti-climatic. My other complaint is strange/cheesy moments. One strange moment is when Meg meets Mrs. Which. Now Mrs. Which is the size of house but Meg looks at her like "Oh there's a giant woman in my backyard. That's inconvenient". If I saw a 30 foot Oprah Winfrey in my backyard I would be scared shitless. And one of those cheesy moments is with the school bullies. They were so clichéd I thought the film would become an after school special.



Middle Ground


A Wrinkle in Time's visual effects are 50/50. 50% of the time the film is gorgeous. I loved some of the visuals and what some of the worlds looked like. The other 50% you can sadly tell when there's a green screen.



Pros


One of the highlights of A Wrinkle in Time is you will feel for what the Murry family is going through. You feel bad for them whether it be them fighting the "it" or the Murry siblings missing their father. Also not counting Deric everybody else's performances were done well. I especially enjoyed Storm Reid as Meg. She sold the role.




A Wrinkle in Time is sadly not the grand experience we were hoping for. McCabe performance is weak, the film has odd/clichéd moments, and that let down of a final fight. The special effects range from awe inspiring to could have been better. The best parts are you understanding the Murry's and the other cast members performances.



My final rating is Okay



Definitely not what some people were hoping for it to be but on the plus side if you have kids they'll enjoy this. I know the kids at my theater did.



State of The Project (Feb 17th - Mar 12th)


Feb 17th - Black Panther Review


Feb 19th - Black Panther Easter Eggs


Feb 22nd - Road to Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - Jurassic Park Review


Feb 26th - What You Probably Didn't Know About Ed, Edd n Eddy


Mar 1st - The Top 6 Worst Internet Critics


Mar 10th - A Wrinkle in Time Review


Mar 12th - Road to Avengers: Infinity War - The Avengers Review



NOTE: IF ANYTHING CHANGES I WILL TELL YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment