Thursday, June 27, 2024

Looking Back at the Films of 2023 Part Six - Elemental & Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken

 

It's that time again. So let's get to it.








Why Didn't I See Elemental?

It was mainly because the movie simply didn't look interesting. From what I saw from the trailers and commercials, it just looked like another _____ with feelings movie.





What is Elemental?

Elemental is an animated romantic comedy-drama movie, that was produced by Pixar Animation Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. Elemental was written by Kat Likkel, John Hoberg, and Brenda Hsueh and directed by Peter Sohn.


The story is, there's a world inhabited by living elements of nature. One of these is a fire element named Ember, who is trying to save her father's store after an accident. She befriends a water element named Wade. Soon they make a pack to help save the store.





My Thoughts

The Good: I'll give it this, the animation is great.




The Bad: If there's one thing I can't defend, it's the world building. Other than a few creative things, it's mainly just elements living in New York. Not really dazzling considering we've had fairy tale creatures live in a real world setting, cars in a semi-real world setting, etc.




The Okay: One of the three decent things about the movie was the humor. There are some funny moments, but then there were times when I just couldn't even muster up a smile. Then there's the art style. Some characters look visually appealing, such as Ember and Wade, but sometimes there are characters that just didn't look good. I get it that because their are elements they don't have to human-like, but still. The last thing I'll touch on is the story. While the romance between Ember and Wade can be sweet a lot of times, the movie isn't exactly subtle about its topics. Water being in love with fire, is the filmmakers tackling interracial relationships, but the topics like that are similar to, once again, not very subtle. Because of that the movie will most likely be preachy for some.





Final Verdict: Okay.








Why Didn't I See Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken?

Simply put, this movie slipped under my radar. I mean, I kind of remember seeing TV spots here and there, but for the most part I kept forgetting about the whole thing.





What is Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken?

Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken is an animated teen comedy movie, that was produced by DreamWorks Animation and distributed by Universal Pictures. Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken was written by Pam Brady, Brian C. Brown, and Elliot DiGuiseppi and directed by Kirk DeMicco.



The story is, teenager Ruby Gillman is trying to desperately fit in. Because of this desperation, she disobeys her mother's rule about going into the ocean, just so she can some sort of friends. Doing so, she learns there's more to her then she realized.






My Thoughts

The Good: One positive is the animation. Must like their rival [Pixar], there's no doubt that DreamWorks makes beautiful animated films. And with Ruby Gillman much like previous DreamWorks films, showcase this. I think the best was the underwater scenes. Those were beautiful. I also really enjoyed the humor. I especially loved Captain Lighthouse, he was hilarious. Then there's the art style. I liked it. It was very cartoony and had many good designs. Although I'm not the biggest fan of how some characters' eyes were so close to the bridge of the nose. But that's just a small nitpick, so just ignore that. It's not a valid criticism. The last bit goes to the villain, Chelsea. While I didn't find her to be the most sinister, she was a fun character. I also find funny how she is definitely an evil Ariel. And if say otherwise, look at the poster. She's caucasian, has red hair, and a mermaid. She's evil Ariel. Which is a pretty funny shot DreamWorks took at Disney.



The Bad: Nothing.




The Okay: Now I'm not gonna lie, you know where the story is gonna go. However, I always felt like even if people know where your story is gonna go, people will forgive that aspect as long as you provide a fun experience. And Ruby Gillman does that.




Final Verdict: Good.










Okay, that's all. Due come back on Saturday, Jun 29th, for my review of, A Quiet Place: Day One. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment