Monday, May 23, 2022

Looking Back at the Films of 2021 Part 3 - Wrath of Man, Spiral, & A Quiet Place Part II

 


Yes folks, I'm back with this segment. Been awhile I know. Anyhow, enough of this intro, let's get to it.











Why Didn't I See Wrath of Man?

Now I truly wanted to see this, mainly because I love a lot of Guy Ritchie's work. So I was really looking forward to this one, especially after seeing The Gentlemen not too long ago. Sadly, there wasn't a showing at my theater. So a review for the movie had to be saved for later.





What is Wrath of Man?


Wrath of Man is an action heist thriller movie and loosely based on the 2004 film Cash Truck. The movie was produced by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer and Miramax and distributed by Lionsgate and United Artists Releasing. Wrath of Man was written by Guy Ritchie, Ivan Atkinson, and Marn Davies and directed by Guy Ritchie. The story is a heist didn't go as planned because Patrick "H" Hill stopped it all with an impressive set of skills. Everyone is wondering who he is and where did he come from. Meanwhile "H" is taking drastic measures to settle a score.





My Thoughts

 
The Good: One thing I'm giving the film credit for is Guy Ritchie's directing. Once again it feels great to see him go back to directing gritty crime films, and this one is no expectation. What also made the movie awesome is Jason Statham. He not only looked like a badass during the action scenes, but he did a great job at playing this character who's not only tough, but very mysterious. Since I brought up action, let's discuss that. The best way to describe it is unforgivably brutal. People just don't get shot, they pretty much get messed up. Brains are without a doubt getting splattered. What I also want to give credit to is the score. It not only sounds really great, but also gives off a very dangerous vibe to it. And given this movie, that fits.




The Bad: I've got nothing.




The Okay: The only mix aspect of Wrath of Man was the pacing. It's fine for the most part, but when we get into the flashbacks and each story connects to each other, that's where the movie does slow down for a bit. Afterwards we are back with faster pace.




Final Verdict: Good.








Why Didn't I See Spiral?

The reason I didn't see Spiral is because the Saw franchise, the more and more it went on the more and more I just didn't care anymore. I really felt like this is a franchise that should've taken it's time when making a new movie. This was a time (2004 all the way to 2010) when we got a new Saw film. Sounds exciting right? Well sometimes no. A lot of times those movies just sucked. When when we had a seven year gap between Saw 3D and Jigsaw, there still wasn't anything really interesting. Especially since with Jigsaw, ya knew the twist and everything in that movie.




What is Spiral?

Spiral (aka Spiral: From The Book of Saw) is a horror film and the ninth installment of the Saw film series. The movie was produced by Twisted Pictures and distributed by Lionsgate. Spiral was written by Josh Stolberg and Peter Goldfinger and directed by Darren Lynn Bousman. The story is detective Ezekiel "Zeke" Banks and his rookie partner have started to work a case into some grisly murders. Murders that seem to be linked to the city's past. Soon enough, Zeke finds himself at the center of the killer's morbid game.




My Thoughts

The Good: I know a lot of people joke about it but I actually enjoyed Chris Rock's performance. No, I don't consider it the greatest of all time. But I thought he handled the more serious moments very well. But what I rea enjoyed was yes it's still a horror movie, but this time I also got sort of a crime thriller vibe from it. Cause one of my issues with a lot of the sequels, whether they range from okay to awful, was it was very clear that the filmmakers were focusing more on the gore and traps. But here, while the traps and gore are still present, it still felt like the filmmakers this time around, really wanted to tell a story.




The Bad: The only true issues I had with the film was the runtime. This one really needed/would've benefited from a longer runtime. Cause even though I don't view this as a bad movie, I still liked it, I still do have this nagging feeling that things still went a little too fast.




The Okay: There are two decent things regarding the whole movie, one of those are our characters. They're okay. We still do get something with them, like their backstory. But I still felt like there still could've been more to them. Which probably could've happened if that runtime was longer. The gray area is the mystery. It's also okay. You really do find out who the killer is during the second act. But you'll still wonder why they're doing this and that stuff, so there's still kind of a mystery there.



Final Verdict: Okay.








Why Didn't I See A Quiet Place Part II?

I pretty much already explained this, but to make a long story short, while my theater was opening back up soon given that everything with COVID was dying down, they [my local theater] still weren't sure WHEN they were opening back up. So, there couldn't be a viewing for me and in return, no review.





What is A Quiet Place Part II?

A Quiet Place Part II is a post-apocalyptic horror movie and the sequel to 2018's A Quiet Place. The movie was produced by Platinum Dunes and Sunday Night Productions and distributed by Paramount Pictures. A Quiet Place Part II was written and directed by John Krasinski. The story is after the events of the first film, the Abbott family's house is completely destroyed, and the remaining members of the family must continue to survive. After venturing off the sand path, not only do they still have to fight the creatures that hunt by sound, but they must also fight off other unknown terrors.




My Thoughts

The Good: Much like the first movie were giving some great scares. Just like the first, the silence isn't relaxing it's terrifying. Cause if you do feel calm, you still have a feeling of dread, because you can't hear the monsters coming until, much like the characters it is or it's almost too late. What I also want too give credit for the focus on character, mainly with the newest Emmett. At the beginning while we don't see much of him, we are given the impression that he was just a typical ordinary family man. Then we meet up with later on, we see what kind of effect the invasion had him. Which brings me to the performances. Once again, Emily Blunt and the child actors did a fantastic job, but I really gotta give credit to Cillian Murphy. He was able to do so much with so little. Cause even if he's entire face is covered up, and all you can see is his eyes, we can still tell what kind of emotional state he's showing his character going through. The last thing I'll praise the movie for is John Krasinski. He already directed the first movie really well, but here he really stepped it up a notch. That Day 1 sequence alone he really showed he's got some talent when it comes to directing.




The Bad: I've got nothing.




The Okay: The thing that I thought was okay was the storyline between the mother and the son. The main reason why it's just okay is because while you're kinda interested in how they'll survive, it's just not as interesting as what the daughter and Emmett were doing.



Final Verdict: Great.











So that's all for me. Come back on Thursday, May 26th for my A Look Back at review of Top Gun. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment